Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Clock Building project.

Options
  • 15-10-2015 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭

Started this a couple of months ago. Thought it might stir a bit of interest.

Bought the designs of a man in Germany and spent the next month trying to find materials . Had to have the timber for the gears shipped from Germany also. The best Irish sources for timber is still quite bad. Note the 1/2 ply for the frame. Gappy.

P1010815.jpg

P1010816.jpg

P1010817.jpg

P1010818.jpg

P1010819.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭rb25

Looks fantastic. How long did it take to make?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

I'm still at it. I have still a ways to go. Round 7 more gears to cut yet and then I have to start work on the escapement and pendulum. Its quite slow work as each tooth need to be perfect.

I plan to stain or dye the frame dark and maybe do something nice with roman numerals on the face.

Hoping to finish by Christmas .

I'm still at it. I have still a ways to go. Round 7 more gears to cut yet and then I have to start work on the escapement and pendulum. Its quite slow work as each tooth need to be perfect.

I plan to stain or dye the frame dark and maybe do something nice with roman numerals on the face.

Hoping to finish by Christmas .

Looks very impressive. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

Wow, looks great.

Starting to take shape now. Many hours of sanding, filing and scrolling later. Still need to build the hour hand gears, the escapment and the pendulum.

I would love some advise on finishing the frame. I cant really do anything with the gears as any paint, stain or dye would interfere with the workings, but the frame can be painted of stained.

P1010858.jpg
    P1010857.jpg

• Advertisement

I would love some advise on finishing the frame. I cant really do anything with the gears as any paint, stain or dye would interfere with the workings, but the frame can be painted of stained.

a very light clear coat?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

I would think that a few clear coats of varnish, sprayed on would actually reduce friction. The Carpentry Store in Naas will sell you Chestnut cans of sanding sealer and varnish ( their melamine spray is the most durable )
    Heat them up in hot water before use and when finished invert the can to clear the nozzle - they will last a long time.

After reading a bit more into it and contacting the designer yeasterday he said it's a big no no to coat any moving part that contacts with another. He has tried and failed to make it work.

Apparently after time, the friction will wear through any coating and create a gum that does not bode well for moving parts and will eventually stop the clock.

I think the Baltic aircraft grade birch ply gears looks great unfinished, but the frame is 1/2" regular bb grade birch ply and I would like to darken a bit.

From what I gather plywood is notoriously difficult to colour well, because the density of the grain varies enormously over its surface.

Advertisement