Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding constraints on MS SQL

Options
  • 15-10-2015 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

Hi,
    Hoping someone can help me with the following MS SQL problem as I’m fairly new to it:
    I have two tables (Apartments and Tenants).
    In the Apartments table, there is a field called OccupierID which has a Foreign Key connection to TenantID in the Tenants table.

The rule is that each TenantID can only be entered into the Apartments table OccupierID once so I used a UNIQUE constraint on OccupierID but this is causing a problem now as I need to allow for NULL to be entered if the Appartment is not occupied.

Is there another check I can use instead of a UNIQUE constraint that will allow for NULL entries but not a repeat of a TenantID?
    (I haven’t learnt about triggers yet but would this be what I need?)

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Take a look at this:

https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/2380/sql-server-database-design-with-a-one-to-one-relationship/

Are you sure that's what you want though? What happens when an apartment has more than one tenant?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You need a reference table here. So you have your Apartments and Tenants tables, and then a third table - ApartmentTenants.

In this table are just two columns - an ApartmentID and the TenantID associated with it. Both are foreign keys, and you have UNIQUE constraint - the TenantID.

This means that a tenant can only be an occupier of one apartment. If you want each apartment to only have one occupier, you have a second UNIQUE constraint on the ApartmentID.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭shakedown

Or remodel your tables - have ApartmentID on the Tenants table and get rid of OccupierID on Apartments. Then you don't even need any unique constraints (assuming you have a primary key on Tenants).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

all great ideas of which the third table ApartmentTenants is the best idea.

but what about the case of having a tenant move through multiple apartments over several years ?

and what about rental periods ?

Each apartment may be rented multiple times over multiple tenants or even the same time on multiple leases.

You model needs to cater for all of these cases

don;t forget landlords who may own multiple properties

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

And tenants who leave and come back to the same property repeatedly. Maybe a "lease" table which would have properties like a start and end. The closer you model it to real life the easier it will be to model.

• Advertisement
Advertisement