Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling Yourself Atheist.

Options
  • 15-10-2015 7:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭

Why do Atheists call themselves Atheist? If you don't believe in something why the need to declare it.
    I wouldn't be a great believer but like a lot of people wouldn't presume to declare myself anything other than a non believer.
    Is there a need for validation? Or is it an anti church movement?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

kneemos wrote: »
    like a lot of people wouldn't presume to declare myself anything other than a non believer.

That's the same thing.

You're right though, atheists are very flamboyant with our beliefs. That's why we're always holding up signs at the top of grafton street, handing out leaflets at te GPO, preaching the lack of a word through megaphones on Henry Street and dancing through the streets beating bongos singing about not god.

Oh... wait...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The term itself isn't some recent creation and instead goes back to ancient greek word atheos, meaning "without god(s)", used as a pejorative term applied to those thought to reject the gods worshiped by the larger society. I suppose on this basis its actually founded by the god believing part of society feeling the need to label those that don't follow their belief in god/gods.

Not sure how its an anti-church movement, if you don't believe in the Easter bunny does that make you Anti-Easter bunny?

Its also not hatred of god, because you can't really hate something that doesn't exist. After all, do you hate the tooth fairy or do you hate the god Thor? No, of course not, you simply don't believe they exist.

If somebody said to you that you were anti easter bunny, anti thor or anti tooth fairy because you didn't believe in them you'd likely laugh at them and rightly so.
    I wouldn't be a great believer but like a lot of people wouldn't presume to declare myself anything other than a non believer.

Thats a very odd sentence,
    You're not a great believer? This suggest you may have some sort of belief in that case, so why would you declare that you have no belief then?

You either do believe in some sort of higher power or god/gods or you don't, if you do then you're not by definition an atheist. If you don't believe then you are by definition an atheist...even if you don't like the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Why do Atheists call themselves Atheist?
    It's a shorter word than non-religious. Takes up less space on forms.
    If you don't believe in something why the need to declare it.
    You don't, of course. Unless there IS a need. Then you do.

Hope that's cleared up your epic struggles with the word Atheist. We could move on to the word "Specious" now if you like......

• Registered Users Posts: 26,174 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Why do Atheists call themselves Atheist? If you don't believe in something why the need to declare it.
    In my experience, atheists don't usually call themselves atheists unless they're asked. Or unless they find themselves in a conversation where their lack of belief in god is a relevant issue. I don't think it has anything to do with validation or protest.

I'm not seeing any difference between you declaring yourself a nonbeliever and someone else declaring himself an atheist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Most atheists don't feel the need to declare it, but when was the last time you noticed someone not declaring something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Peregrinus wrote: »
    In my experience, atheists don't usually call themselves atheists unless they're asked. Or unless they find themselves in a conversation where their lack of belief in god is a relevant issue. I don't think it has anything to do with validation or protest.

I'm not seeing any difference between you declaring yourself a nonbeliever and someone else declaring himself an atheist.

I like Neil deGrasse Tyson's take on it: 'Let's have the conversation, then you tell me what I am'. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

In the past I would always say I am 'non-religious' if it came up in conversation.

But then a lot of people assumed I was 'non-religious' in the Irish sense of the word - brought up a catholic, don't go to weekly mass but still believe in God and follow the RC church to some extent.

I'd often have friends or family ask me to be a godparent or expect me to take part in readings etc during weddings/christenings. They'd be somewhat shocked when I explained that I didn't 'believe in anything'.

So now I always use the term atheist to avoid ambiguity. If pushed further, I explain that I'm really agnostic but I don't make a big song and dance about it.

I agree though, a lot of atheists wear this label as a badge of honor, and tend to show it off because it's different.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I agree though, a lot of atheists wear this label as a badge of honor, and tend to show it off because it's different.

Maybe in the 1950's :D

I know it's probably because I'm in the world of IT and hang around with a lot of college edumacated people, but I would say roughly 60-70% of people I know would class themselves as non believers. There's nothing unusual with it in my life, anyway.

The amount of times I've uttered the word atheist in the real world is actually quite small, and I usually use it only when discussing what it means with someone who's asked me.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,940 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Here's a typical conversation in my office:

*Overheal sneezed*

Coworker: bless you.

OH: Thanks

not

Coworker: bless you

OH: Excuse me, I'm an Atheist, that is offensive.

Advertisement