Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No reply after internal application?

Options
  • 15-10-2015 7:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I work in one of the big IFSC fund companies. The place is huge easily over 1000 staff.

I'm there over three years permanent and while I'm no star my appraisals are good. For the two and a half years I never applied for any internal roles but I decided in 2015 I was going to try. My managers encouraged this and gave me meetings to discuss areas to improve. Like one was presentations which I never did and now I've done a few including one outside my department

A new team was setup and a few us here applied. Three of my teammates got job offers, two accepted and one went to another job. I never even got a reply and I found this out in the pub after work over drinks.

I completed an interview in May for another role and was told a decision would be made the next week. I sent a short follow up to the internal HR recruiter guy in June, July & early August asking for an update. I wasn't hassling, I waited 3-4 weeks each time. I was finally told the job was filled. Eleven weeks to get an answer. The HR guy apologised and said the hiring manager had not been keeping him informed.

I felt very down over this and still do. I accept rejections and I understand sometimes I won't even get an interview. The hiring manager for the first job sits 30 metres away and hired my teammates and thought I wasn't worth a reply. Or maybe HR messed up, I dont know.

Getting ignored has happened me as an external candidate, it happens us all. But is this usual as an internal candidate? To apply for a role here you go through HR and they work with the hiring manager.

Why do internal candidates not even get a PFO ? :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

It's bad but remember you haven't done anything wrong. Just seems to be the norm these days with recruiters, internal or otherwise. Don't get too upset and just move on from it. Next time you go for an internal role you might get it. And HR will be straight onto you then :D Best of luck

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

tbh internal staff can sometimes be treated worse than external hires tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 38 evey3624

Very poor form IMO, however, I would not let it get to you as it is not personal. It does however, indicate that employee engagement and well being is not in the forefront of their thoughts :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Don't take it personally, it could be that the hiring manager had a bit more experience in dealing with your team-mates and that was the deciding factor. You didn't do anything and at least now your company knows you're eager for a new challenge.

Advertisement