Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selenium - Where to Start?

Options
  • 14-10-2015 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

I'm looking for a few pointers on where to start with Selenium. I just want to get to grips with it and see it in action. I have a live personal profile website which was built using Bootstrap and contains some PHP and JavaScript. I would like to test this site but I do not know where to begin. On the Selenium website there are a number of different downloads and I do not know which is appropriate for my site to test.

Any help with this would be much appreciated or even any links to tutorials for a novice testing the site I have mentioned.

Thanx
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Gerb68 wrote: »
    I'm looking for a few pointers on where to start with Selenium. I just want to get to grips with it and see it in action. I have a live personal profile website which was built using Bootstrap and contains some PHP and JavaScript. I would like to test this site but I do not know where to begin. On the Selenium website there are a number of different downloads and I do not know which is appropriate for my site to test.

Any help with this would be much appreciated or any links to tutorials for a novice testing the site I have mentioned.

Thanx

How do you want to run your tests? Via web browsers or unit tests in php?
    For the former, you can get a plugin for selenium in firefox, and you'd be looking at something like selenium web-driver for php, but I think phpunit is a dependency for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Gerb68

Thanx for the response. I'd like to get my head around both. I'll look into both but I thought unit testing involved JavaScript.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ThrowinShapes

You could use Nightwatch.js. The guide covers using it with Selenium: http://nightwatchjs.org/guide

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Started playing around with it in the Django Python framework. It seems to tie in nicely with basic unit testing but early days yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

it was super easy to setup for me with rails, but i have no clue otherwise.
    its awesome as **** btw, it kind of reignited my love of code and TDD, spent all weekend coding just for fun.

• Advertisement
Advertisement