Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Existential crisis

Options
  • 14-10-2015 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭

I've only heard about this recently and i think i've been going through it for years(either that or depression)

its that feeling of dissatisfaction with everything, the feeling of being a modern day slave going through the motions. Frustration, combined with anger and confusion. (yeah i know, first world problems).

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

lufties wrote: »
    Existential crisis: I've only heard about this recently and i think i've been going through it for years(either that or depression)

its that feeling of dissatisfaction with everything, the feeling of being a modern day slave going through the motions. Frustration, combined with anger and confusion. (yeah i know, first world problems).
    Please consider elaborating upon this theme by introducing one or more existential philosophy perspectives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

I think everbody and even alot of animals go through this.
    Who am I?
    What am I?
    What are my limitations?
    Suppose even the fact that you say first world problems would bring you to Maslows Heirarchy of needs which all your basic nessesities are being met but you seem unforfilled.
    What is the point of it all?

These are common feelings shared by many creatures and people..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Black Swan wrote: »
    Please consider elaborating upon this theme by introducing one or more existential philosophy perspectives.

why do 90% of us spend our lives working for somebody else's betterment. why can't we all just get along? why aren't magic mushrooms legal?

on a more serious note, yeah i guess i feel unfulfilled in some way or other. Questioning societal structures, asking what is the point, and feel somewhat trapped :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

shanered wrote: »
    Suppose even the fact that you say first world problems would bring you to Maslows Heirarchy of needs which all your basic nessesities are being met but you seem unforfilled.
    What is the point of it all?

These are common feelings shared by many creatures and people..
    Maslow proposed a model of motivation suggesting continuous striving to meet needs would ultimately result in higher levels of development throughout the life cycle (AH Maslow, Psychological Review, 1943). Those that reached the apex were said to be self-actualised. The model also suggested that not all would achieve this level of fulfillment; i.e., there would be variations in the population. The empirical results of studies of this model have had mixed results since proposed by Maslow, some researchers suggesting that it doesn't stack up in pyramidal fashion as suggested by the Maslow metaphor, or was problematic in terms of assessing human behaviour.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

why do 90% of us spend our lives working for somebody else's betterment. why can't we all just get along? why aren't magic mushrooms legal?

on a more serious note, yeah i guess i feel unfulfilled in some way or other. Questioning societal structures, asking what is the point, and feel somewhat trapped :confused:

Have a look at Albert Camus the Myth of Sysyphus, it may be just the tonic you seek.

Fact is, I guess life is a fairly mundane affair for most people. What your feeling is actually quite normal. Anyways, at some stage you will need look at the lot you have been given and figure out a way to seek fulfilment from it. Find your purpose, make it your passion. This can take years even a lifetime, but even the struggle itself will be enough to find purpose (or meaning).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Change your life so. Your literally dying. Soon you wont have any more time left. Dont waste it. Sure, decide to at least risk wrecking your safe life and take a year to try things you'd never imagine doing before. Learn things about yourself. Nobody can have a happy life without knowing themselves, It'd be the equivalent of walking through life, a stranger, an imposter in your own life.

These guys upheaved my life. Well more true to say i wanted to change it, and these guys provided information that I found profoundly changing.

SadhGuru
    Vernon Howard
    Antony de mello

A philosophy on life I could never have imagined, but always dreamed of.

mzungu wrote: »
    Have a look at Albert Camus the Myth of Sysyphus, it may be just the tonic you seek.

Fact is, I guess life is a fairly mundane affair for most people.
    The Greek myth of Sisyphus referred to by Camus exemplifies "the absurd" contradiction between the meaningful life we desire, and the all too often arbitrary and capricious existence we experience. We roll that metaphor rock to the top of the mountain, only to have it roll back to the bottom, whereupon we roll it back up again, eternally repeating this absurd and "mundane" process of life you mention.

"The absurd" is a contradiction that cannot be reconciled, and attempts to do so all too often result in a leap of faith by many rock rollers. Rather than leap, Camus suggests that this contradiction should be recognized for what it is, a reality of existence, and then find ways to enjoy the chaotic ride. For example, artists and actors can exhibit their passion in confronting "the absurd," depicting it and playing with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

I've only heard about this recently and i think i've been going through it for years(either that or depression)

If you want to break free from that slavery, you have to find your limits and push them. If you are really good at something, you can potentially be in charge of it and even own it. That's how wealth is created. It's doesn't concern things that cost money. It concerns small things like jokes, and remarks about existential crisis.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 boredusername1

is how you live your moments, how you live your minutes, hours, days, months, years, life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 boredusername1

Perhaps it is up to each of us to construct our own meaning and value system to live authentically

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭AlteredStates

The meaning of life begins when you give meaning to life! Each to their own. Perhaps you need to find your Divine purpose and only then will you feel you are not in crisis. Crisis is good though as it's the starting point where confusion eventually leads to awakening!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Boardz Fiend

Great question OP. I don't mean to spin this off on a tangent... i actually find contentment & personal development in my job but yet im disillusioned and frustrated with modern day "first world" society.. so many of us pay people to care for our kids, so that we can work to pay bills. Or we pay for others to care for our elderly parents because we are too busy working. We farm out what should be the 2 most important parts of our lives, all in the name of the rat race. Seems like we have lost something. Is there another way?

Advertisement