Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Newbie with some very basic questions

Options
  • 14-10-2015 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm a new EV owner. I had the opportunity to purchase a 2012 Citroen C-Zero at a very low price and it suits me brilliantly, I love driving the car and haven't noticed any negatives yet. Pleasantly surprised with range so far given how many negative comments I've received from friends/strangers!

I guess my only problem is that I'm a bit lost in all the EV lingo, I'm a bit confused by the various types of charging stations and which are suitable for my vehicle.

I did speak with ESB and they confirmed I can use the CHAdeMO chargers, and I have an adapter for using the mennekes(?) style ones. I believe I can use the fast charge stations too.

Can anyone tell me what DC and AC stand for?

I've tried researching online but as theres been virtually no C-Zeros sold in Ireland there's a lack of info that relates to them specifically.

To be honest, as it currently stands I don't really need to use public charging stations as I have access to one at work and only work 10 minutes from home, but in around 6 months time I'll be moving further away and want to make sure I know what I'm doing if I need to use a public station.

Are there any basic etiquette rules I should be aware of?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

I'm a new EV owner. I had the opportunity to purchase a 2012 Citroen C-Zero at a very low price and it suits me brilliantly, I love driving the car and haven't noticed any negatives yet.

Welcome!
    Pleasantly surprised with range so far given how many negative comments I've received from friends/strangers!

The people who seem to have the strong negative opinions of EVs tend to know nothing about them.
    I did speak with ESB and they confirmed I can use the CHAdeMO chargers, and I have an adapter for using the mennekes(?) style ones. I believe I can use the fast charge stations too.

AC (alternating current) is the way the electricity grid supplies power.
    AC Power cannot be stored easily and is converted to DC (Direct current) to charge the battery.
    This conversion from AC to DC is done by the charger inside the car or inside the rapid charger.
    The streetside and home "chargers" we plug into are not actually chargers, they are just weatherproof electric sockets with a few extra safety mechanisms.
    The rapid chargers are the exception, they convert AC to DC at very high power levels and directly connect to the car's battery (in your case via a separate socket ChaDeMo socket).

You should have no issues, you use the same charging standards and connectors as a Nissan Leaf and the infrastructure is largely designed around them.
    To be honest, as it currently stands I don't really need to use public charging stations as I have access to one at work and only work 10 minutes from home, but in around 6 months time I'll be moving further away and want to make sure I know what I'm doing if I need to use a public station.

ESB have some nice youtube videos (though they confuse everyone with their interchangeable use of the words fast, rapid and standard):

Rapid charger:

Standard chargers:

Don't block a charging space if you are not charging. That includes moving your car within a reasonable time of it finishing charging.

Rapid chargers take about 20 minutes to charge your car from 0-80% and considerably more time to from 80-100%. As they are in high demand you should not rapid charge your car beyond 80% unless you need the extra charge to complete your journey.
    In practice that means you should stay nearby if rapid charging and be back in time to let the next person queueing charge.

Try to park in the left hand space of a rapid charger if possible as the cables can be short and BMW i3 drivers need to park in the right hand space for their cable to stretch.

Try to park leaving a reasonable amount of room for someone who may charge in the space next to you to connect cables to their car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Congratulations on the car.

cros has it covered above.

If you do start using the public charger infrastructure, you might consider using the Charge Bump app. This lets people send you a message when they are waiting for the charger you are plugged into by entering your reg. they don't see your mobile number.

Also, if you are in Cork, you can apply for a free toll card under the Charge4Zero scheme, and park for free in the public carparks.

Do you have your ESB chargecard?

pwurple wrote: »
    Mad lad has it covered above.

:D Why does Mad_lad always get credit for my posts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

cros13 wrote: »

Arg!

Boards is killing me, double posts and the wrong person! Sorry cros13.. Will edit!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭homer911

Try to park in the left hand space of a rapid charger if possible as the cables can be short and BMW i3 drivers need to park in the right hand space for their cable to stretch.

Didnt think of this - is that the left side as you approach in the car?

• Advertisement

homer911 wrote: »
    Didnt think of this - is that the left side as you approach in the car?

Yup! Leafs and Zoes don't know how much hassle those front mounted ports are saving them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Hi all,

I'm a new EV owner. I had the opportunity to purchase a 2012 Citroen C-Zero at a very low price and it suits me brilliantly, I love driving the car and haven't noticed any negatives yet. Pleasantly surprised with range so far given how many negative comments I've received from friends/strangers!

I guess my only problem is that I'm a bit lost in all the EV lingo, I'm a bit confused by the various types of charging stations and which are suitable for my vehicle.

I've tried researching online but as theres been virtually no C-Zeros sold in Ireland there's a lack of info that relates to them specifically.

As you probably know the C-Zero is identical to the Mitsubishi iMiev and the Peugeot Ion. Check out http://www.kiwiev.com for videos from a Peugeot iOn owner living in Slovakia! I really like those little cars, there is definitely a need for smaller electric cars and the fact that it packs a rapid charger is a major bonus.

Once you get set up with cards for the public chargers, visit one and have a go at plugging in. It's pretty straightforward and it'll be second nature in no time.

Happy electric motoring!

Probably because you're starting to waffle on a lot like me maybe ? :D

But good post anyway ! :D

C-Zero has less range than a Leaf but if it's what you need then happy days, welcome and happy electric motoring.,

Fast charging won't be free from sometime in 2016. There are a lot of people using them that don't need to because it's free when they could otherwise charge at home.

I don't usually leaf the Leaf when fast charging but if I do I leave a note with my number on the dash and if someone rings me and i don't need the charger I tell them to go ahead and plug me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭heliguyheliguy

pwurple wrote: »

If you do start using the public charger infrastructure, you might consider using the Charge Bump app. This lets people send you a message when they are waiting for the charger you are plugged into by entering your reg. they don't see your mobile number.

That is a brilliant idea, I've signed up, there seems ro be a great community around ev's a nice surprise that i was not expecting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

I had my first experience with the public charging points yesterday and to be honest it didn't go well!

First I tried the charge point at Sutton Dart station. It took me a good few tries for it to actually connect and start charging, then we left it for about an hour, but when we came back it had already stopped charging for some reason.

Later in the day I decided to nip up to the airport and try the fast charger at the Topaz. Well I couldn't get that to work either! I followed the instructions properly but the little red LED light on the charger never came on and on the screen I just kept getting a sort of "loading" screen and after a few minutes it would end.

I tried the CHAdeMO next to it and that wouldn't work either, it kept saying it couldn't detect the vehicle. I did ring the support line but the technician I spoke with couldn't help.

So finally I tried the Standard charging point on Main street in Swords. This one actually worked! But I was only there for about 20 minutes so didn't really get much charge, but at least it was working!

Is it usual to have such issues? At this point I genuinely don't know if its the car or just bad luck with the charge points!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,262 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Not trying to be smart, but you may well find in time that you were doing something wrong. I know I made some daft mistakes like pressing the wrong buttons, not inserting the plugs correctly in the early days.

I drove my Leaf back to Donegal from Leeds and it was a bloody stressful trip due to some bad planning on my part and also a few downed chargers.

I may be wrong and you may just have had bad luck. But in general I find that I have very few issues these days other than being ICEd. Did have a faulty charger in Buncrana last week mind you, apparently it's been broken for a few weeks but just not addressed by the engineers.

Oh it's totally possible I was making a mess of it without realising! I'm gonna go back up to the Fast charger at the Airport tonight o r maybe tomorrow and try again. The next closest fast point to me is Blanchardstown, so if the airport one still wont work I'll perhaps try that one. At least then I'll know for sure if its me or the charger!

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭robnet77

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I drove my Leaf back to Donegal from Leeds and it was a bloody stressful trip due to some bad planning on my part and also a few downed chargers.

I may be wrong and you may just have had bad luck. But in general I find that I have very few issues these days other than being ICEd...

what is your experience with fast chargers over Ireland? Which ones are usually available, which ones are often ICEd, which ones have long queues?
    Thanks!

robnet77 wrote: »
    what is your experience with fast chargers over Ireland? Which ones are usually available, which ones are often ICEd, which ones have long queues?
    Thanks!

Well I've only had my Leaf for 4 months and don't do that many long trips so I can only speak for those I'm familiar with.

C756G, Tobins Service Station Letterkenny
    Partially ICE'd once, although I was still able to squeeze into the left side and charge. Left a note on the ICE driver's car. Blocked by an inconsiderate Leaf driver once who had gone off and left his car charging beyond 90%. Worth noting that this service station closes at 10pm but if you're stuck (which I once was) you can park up on the kerb outside the station and stretch the cable over the wall!

RC11, Glendermot Road, Derry
    I use this at least once a week. Only ICEd once and that was by a taxi driver who moved when I asked him. Never had any fault except for one instance when it took a few attempts before connecting properly. I have personally never had to queue at this charger but my wife did encounter traffic once while charging after work.

RC02, Maghera Service Station (just off the Glenshane Pass)
    Use this every time I go to Belfast which is maybe 4 times since I got the car. Always available, always working, never a queue as yet.

RC07, Texaco @ Junction 1 Shopping Centre
    Scared the poop out of me the first time, as I was coming off the ferry from England on my inaugural trip. Arrived here with 8% left and saw that the service station had closed down so I thought that the charger would be gone too but it was still there and working. Handy when driving Donegal to Belfast, I charge at the Glenshane, then top up at Junction 1 if I'm not going to be stopping at a SCP.

RC10, Mellon Country Inn, Omagh
    Another regular every time I go to Dublin. Located at the end of a hotel car park. Always works, always available and not encountered a queue yet.

C74SB, Topaz Monaghan
    Next stop on any Dublin run for me. Again always working (although the SCP beside it doesn't work) and never been ICEd or in a queue. I did once arrive to find a Leaf (ESB staff) there but he was just leaving. I often charge to 100% here provided I'm not blocking anyone else. Simply because it means I can go all the way to Applegreen Lusk with a bit of wiggle room. Leaving Monaghan with 80% would struggle to make it to Lusk and I'd have to go to Castlebellingham first.

C76R5/C76JL, Applegreen Lusk (North and South)
    The Southbound charger here did let me down a bagful late one night on the way to Dublin. It was out of order and I had to loop around to the Northbound station and barely made it. Aside from that it has been functional and only ever blocked by a sleeping Leaf driver at 3am who I just unplugged as he was at 100%.

Those are my regulars. I have driven on from Dublin to Cork and back once and had a fairly easy trip apart from the FCP at Fermoy which was out of order. All things considered I've very rarely been ICEd at a FCP, more common at SCPs. And only ever blocked by an inconsiderate EV driver in Letterkenny once.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

robnet77 wrote: »
    Thanks!

Cork:
    Frankfield (off Kinsale Rd Roundabout): always works (even despite being crashed into recently). Usually get to hook up straight away; have only had to wait (~5 mins) two or three times. Quite common for another Leaf to arrive while hooked up, and they've always been able to hook up within 5 mins. SCP doesn't work.

Rochestown: broken pretty much most of the three months I've had my Leaf. SCP also doesn't work AFAIK.

Nissan, Straight Rd: Only used a couple of times but seems reliable. Having been into the dealership frequently in June / July (when buying) it seems to be used reasonably frequently to charge garage / customer cars. Open business hours Mon - Fri; 9 - 15.00 Sat.

Commons Rd: Used twice. Haven't seen it marked out of action on ESB map. FCP spaces not painted. Adjacent SCP was semi / fully ICEd both times. No waiting.

Macroom: Used a few times on long trips. No problems, not ICEd. Never waited; Leaf arrived after me once.

Tralee: unusual location - in the forecourt of a closed Nissan garage. Cable can be dragged over a low wall into the car park of Smyths next door though. Only one spot (alone - it has kerbing on either side) can be used and this is generally 'blocked' by a big Nissan bollard put there by EV owners to try to keep it for charging. Got straight on both times I used it, with another Leaf arriving while I was charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭baktag

Hi, there is a fast charger at great gas in Lusk/Donabate , I have used it 3 times since Friday always available (try the large mocha from the coffee machine is so nice )
    looks like I'm making a jump to an EV from Jan 16.

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Great+Gas+-+Junction+4+Turvey/@53.492448,-6.1983797,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x48671754801a2bd9:0x63259ae8399aa85d

baktag wrote: »
    Hi, there is a fast charger at great gas in Lusk/Donabate , I have used it 3 times since Friday always available (try the large mocha from the coffee machine is so nice )
    looks like I'm making a jump to an EV from Jan 16.

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Great+Gas+-+Junction+4+Turvey/@53.492448,-6.1983797,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x48671754801a2bd9:0x63259ae8399aa85d

I noticed this earlier when checking the number for the FCPs I listed.

Is this new?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭baktag

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I noticed this earlier when checking the number for the FCPs I listed.

Is this new?

Not sure how long its there, it was the salesman in Nissan that put me wide about it for my test drive, came in very handy

OK, perhaps I'm getting confused here but after looking around a bit on the internet today, I can see that most websites say the C-Zero accepts DC fast charging. But all the fast charge points on the ESB map are AC, could that be the problem?

• Advertisement

Hang on, now I'm really confused. On the C-Zero the fast charging connector is on the left hand side of the car. I've double checked the manual and the left side is definitely the fast charger. However, when I was at the airport the only one that would fit that connector was the big blue charger, with I assumed was the fast AC charger, however in the video posted at the start of this thread, it says the big blue one is the CHAdeMo?!

The video says the fast charger is the smaller white one, I could use that one with my adapter cable but it would have to be plugged into the right hand side of the vehicle, which is the normal (as in not fast charging) side.

Oh god why is this so complicated!

OK, perhaps I'm getting confused here but after looking around a bit on the internet today, I can see that most websites say the C-Zero accepts DC fast charging. But all the fast charge points on the ESB map are AC, could that be the problem?

The C-Zero definately has ChaDemo DC rapid charging.

ESB is confusing people by interchangeably using the terms Fast and Rapid.
    You cannot charge using AC on the efacec rapid charger like at the Airport Topaz, you have to use ChaDeMo on those chargers.

Sent you a PM btw... if you want to meet up at the airport rapid charger any evening this week I can exchange a lesson on the chargers for an opportunity to nose around your C-Zero.

Advertisement