Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

no gestures yet at 1

Options
  • 13-10-2015 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

My little guy still doesn't do gestures like wave or point or mimic us at all. Should I be worried? He has about 4 clear words. Mama, Dada, Nana, Hiya.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

is he just gone 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

I think my guy was 14 months when he started "pointing" properly with his finger though he was gesturing with his hand for a few weeks before that. Having 4 clear words at 1 is brilliant so I don't think you have anything to worry about. My lad is 16 months and has no clear words though a few sounds that mean things ("ca" for car, "shree" for tree etc). I'm not worried though as I know he will get there - he is progressing at his own speed and we see him doing new things all the time. If he is having difficulties coming closer to 2 I will look into it then. Relax and enjoy him!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Yes. I know I shouldn't compare but I'm around younger babies who demonstrate more communication skills. Blow kisses. Clap hands etc. He doesn't do any of that but yes just turned one . Think he understands well tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

Really try to stop comparing. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. My guy is definitely slower on the communication stuff but is good with fine motor skills - playing with toys, stacking blocks etc. He might be a surly engineer! He already grunts "huh" at me when I ask him a question so he's definitely taking after his Dad!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,144 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

73trix wrote: »
    My little guy still doesn't do gestures like wave or point or mimic us at all. Should I be worried? He has about 4 clear words. Mama, Dada, Nana, Hiya.
    You should not be worried. His language development is on or ahead of schedule, so there is no reason to think there is any learning issue. Even if his motor skills are a bit behind the average (and, to be honest, from what you say I doubt that they are), the average conceals a huge range of perfectly normal. Skills develop in fits and starts; the child that is a late developer with fine motor skills at 12 months may be well ahead of the curve at 15 months, and vice versa. Your child would be a freak if there was no aspect of development in which there was no child ahead of him. Don't sweat it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

It seems like he is doin fine don't worry.

Focus on what he can do and can understand.
    It's amazing how much they understand at that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

It seems like he is doin fine don't worry.

Focus on what he can do and can understand.
    It's amazing how much they understand at that age.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

My monkey didn't start waving or clapping hands until he was 16 months i.e. last month and he still isn't great. No blowing kisses/shaking hands or any other hand gestures but he is great at climbing frames and kicking a ball

I said it to the PHN and she laughed at me. every child does things at their own pace.

My monkey was an early walker (10 months) - My friends baby was waving at 5 months but didn't walk until 17 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

A friend of mine has idential twin girls and she has said that it is the biggest lesson in how no two babies are the same and everyone expects her girls to do everything at the same time in the same way.

They are 11 months old now and one is great at sitting and clapping and blowing raspberries and all that jazz and has been for ages.
    The other is still very unstable at sitting, is hesitatant to roll over and other such things.
    However, put her in front of a key board (piano type not PC type:p) and she will rock out to whatever tune she imagines. Her sister not so much.
    Both girls are also great at feeding themselves their bottles even when they're full and heavy.

I have a little girl who is 13 months old tomorrow and has been great at pointing and chatting and all other such things and has a couple of words too but has flat out refused to crawl. There is a little boy at her childminders who is only 7 months old and he is crawling rings around the place.

The miles stones are averages. Some reach certain milestones before others and then take an age to get to what seems super simple to us. If your PHN and GP aren't worried then I'd take a deep breath and be happy that I have a healthy little boy and just go with the flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

hi 73trix, I'd second what the other posters say that babies are all different :) your guy might be making some gestures already though that don't seem obvious. can you tell when he wants to be picked up? like does he put his arms up to you or something? I've read that that is also a gesture.

Those are great words your guy has already. my fella is like a helicopter with all the waving some days but he doesn't have a word at all yet, all just a stream of babbling noise (or wailing sometimes). He's nearly 14 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

I have a little girl who is 13 months old tomorrow and has been great at pointing and chatting and all other such things and has a couple of words too but has flat out refused to crawl. There is a little boy at her childminders who is only 7 months old and he is crawling rings around the place.

A friend of mine got a crawling tunnel in Ikea which taught her 1 year old to crawl (the little girl went straight to walking never crawled, but didn't have enough strength in her arms to pull herself up and down coz of never crawling so had to go for physio & he recommended the crawling tunnel)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Does he attend a creche? From my own kids and nephews I noticed the ones in creche seem to pick this stuff up quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

73trix wrote: »

If you're unsure then ask your PHN at his next checkup.
    I know people mean well but telling you not to worry he's fine is easy to say but they actually don't know as they haven't met your kid and aren't trained in the area of child development. Yes all children develop at different rates and there is a huge range of what is normal.However there is a point at which you have to call the skill delayed if it's significantly below what is normal. This is what posters can't judge.
    If you feel in your gut he's behind then I would listen to yourself.
    Your PHN might just tell you to keep an eye on him but if he does need support it's better to catch these things early.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Lucuma wrote: »
    A friend of mine got a crawling tunnel in Ikea which taught her 1 year old to crawl (the little girl went straight to walking never crawled, but didn't have enough strength in her arms to pull herself up and down coz of never crawling so had to go for physio & he recommended the crawling tunnel)

My little girl took off yesterday. Hasn't stopped crawling since and is overjoyed with her new found freedom. I'm exhausted now having to move all things that are suddenly a danger to her.

Advertisement