Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newspaper photos printed with no credits

Options
  • 13-10-2015 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi there,

I was recently doing a photo coverage of a gig for my friend. I gave her the photos to publish in the local paper and we agreed that I only want my credits in the article.
    She wrote to the newspaper, gave them all the details and photos and - suprise, suprise - my photos printed with no credits at all.
    There were also two other photographers (one of them working closely with the paper - every image nicely credited, other one - ignored the same way as myself.

I wonder if anyone can give me an advice how to proceed with this situation.
    Is it common?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

It may be as simple as the photographer who works with the paper submitting things correctly to get their name in the by line, in my experience if it is not in the IPTC of the file most papers wont look any further.

Since its already printed there is not much you can do except if they are also on a website where you could get the by line edited.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I too have let images be used for free with just credits published. Correct information in the file. They just don't bother. The only time it did appear was when they totally messed up the story to say the wrong team won the grand final. I mentioned that the photo was not credited and it was in the second story a week later.

If you are providing images for a fee then be happy with the money. If they are free then that's all you generally get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

What is the best way to format the IPTC data?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭JonJones

pwllor wrote: »
    Hi there,

I was recently doing a photo coverage of a gig for my friend. I gave her the photos to publish in the local paper and we agreed that I only want my credits in the article.
    She wrote to the newspaper, gave them all the details and photos and - suprise, suprise - my photos printed with no credits at all.
    There were also two other photographers (one of them working closely with the paper - every image nicely credited, other one - ignored the same way as myself.

I wonder if anyone can give me an advice how to proceed with this situation.
    Is it common?
    Do you get paid if you do not mind my asking? Reason is i have a friend who has had a couple photos in a national paper in Ireland and was paid but did not have their name printed. There was no name just a description of the photo. Someone told me there may be a 'rule' the paper are only really supposed to use NUJ member photos? I do not know if it true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭pwllor

No, I didn't get any payment. I did that as a favour to my friend, but I was expected credits.
    My iptc is filled in with my name in Authors and Copyright fields. There also was a description of the authors in the email. That's not where the problem is.

I think they don't have a right to publish images without credits. Am I right?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭JonJones

pwllor wrote: »
    No, I didn't get any payment. I did that as a favour to my friend, but I was expected credits.
    My iptc is filled in with my name in Authors and Copyright fields. There also was a description of the authors in the email. That's not where the problem is.

I think they don't have a right to publish images without credits. Am I right?
    well my friend had photos published with out credits but he does not mind. his name was on the cheque. But as i said someone told me they should not really use non nuj. i do not know any nuj so cannot ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Send them an invoice, and explain to your friend that the contract has not been upheld by the paper. You gave them your picture on the condition that they would credit you with the work, send them an invoice for €250 and see how they react ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

You communicated your desire for credit to your friend, did she communicate that desire to the paper? Or did she just send the shots and some context into the paper and assume they'd credit the shots? If she didn't explicitly state that the pictures were to be credited then your argument might be with her, not the paper.

• Advertisement

Well, I guess I'll send the pictures myself next time.
    But I don't think you need to ask the paper for credits, especially that there were credits in the same article for someone else's work.

If you on the pay list, no problem, otherwise bug off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

If it's a problem then don't give free images to the Media.

I didn't - the deal was clear.

It's not a problem, it's disappointment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I've had many images printed without being credited. As long as they pay, I am not bothered. I prefer cash to credit. :D

Advertisement