Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature students education grant

Options
  • 13-10-2015 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

hi,
    Wondering if anyone can help, am 35 and looking to go back to third level college. Am reading loads about BTEA grant and how this is the best one to apply for but it's means tested. How can I find out cut off points etc to get an idea of how much I would get. Currently getting 208eur on ce scheme, when am finished that I would then be entitled to 60/70eur when signing back on.. Is that what I would only get then?? Is there a minimum amount I would get on BTEA? Or is there any other grant which would be better? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Hi Caroline

There isn't actually a BTEA grant, its a BTE Allowance which replaces your Social Welfare payment when you are studying full-time. BTEA isn't means tested. Eligibility is determined based on the course you want to do, your age, the social welfare payment you are currently on and the length of time you have been on it. The amount of money you get on BTEA is based on what you would get if you were on a Jobseeker payment (or whatever other payment you would be getting were you not on BTEA). Usually, for adults aged over 26 and on Jobseekers, BTEA is just a name change on the payment in that you don't get any extra money on the allowance.

The grant you are probably thinking about is the SUSI maintenance grant which is means tested.

In terms of amounts of money the absolute maximum that you would get with SUSI, is €5915 dived up into 9 monthly payments paid over the duration of the course. However unless you are on an Invalidity/ disability payment or a One Parent Family Payment you would not be able to keep any other social welfare payments like Jobseekers or BTEA if you choose the SUSI maintenance grant.

Also the criteria for getting this maximum payment include a requirement that you are living at least 45km from the college. If you are living less than 45km then the maximum payment you can get is €2375, again divided into 9 monthly instalments.

What might be an idea would be to look at the payment you will be on when CE ends, if its a OPFP or Invalidity or disability payment you can, with the permission of DSP, keep that payment while studying fulltime. You can also apply for the SUSI maintenance grant. However if you get the SUSI grant then any rent supplement you are on can be affected.

If, after CE you will be on a Jobseekers payment then you have to apply for BTEA for full-time courses. This automatically means you cant apply for the SUSI maintenance grant.

Its a bit confusing but you should be able to get more information from Citizens information. I don't think there was any changes to education funding in yesterdays budget but if I come across any I'll post it.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Raider32

Hi all i also have a Question about mature Students applying for a Grant,

Im Returning to Education on a 2 year PLC course in Outdoor Education in Sept 2017,

i currently work Full time in security, when i start in September, i will have to go Part time in my job which worries me as i wont be making as much money to support myself in terms of rent bills etc,

When i apply for a PLC Grant would this cover my Living costs as well as my Course Fees?

Advertisement