Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to Education Allowance and part time work?

Options
  • 13-10-2015 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭

From welfare.ie FAQ:
    Q7. Can I work part time and claim BTEA?

Yes, participants may commence part-time work while on the BTEA without affecting their rate of payment. However, any income which you or your spouse get is assessable for Rent Allowance, Mortgage Interest Supplement or Fuel Allowance and so these payments may be affected.

I have been working part time before before receiving Back to Education Allowance and I always received the full BTEA payment. I was told this year that because I had my part time job before BTEA I would only receive BTEA equivalent to whatever social welfare payment I was on beforehand. In my case I was in receipt of the casual payment as I was working, which is roughly ~€100.

This puts me in a position where I would only receive the full BTEA rate if I quit my job - a job which is in the industry I am studying, offering experience etc. I am then free to take up a job again, without affecting BTEA. This makes absolutely no sense, as it almost promotes not working. A deciding officer came to speak with me and they basically told me this is the way things are since 2013, I and if I received the full amount in 2014 or 2013 that was a mistake. I asked if I could appeal and she told me there is no appealing. I went to reception and wrote up an appeal form all the same.

Anyone else in a similar position, and are you receiving the full BTEA?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

dusf wrote: »
    From welfare.ie FAQ:

I have been working part time before before receiving Back to Education Allowance and I always received the full BTEA payment. I was told this year that because I had my part time job before BTEA I would only receive BTEA equivalent to whatever social welfare payment I was on beforehand. In my case I was in receipt of the casual payment as I was working, which is roughly ~€100.

This puts me in a position where I would only receive the full BTEA rate if I quit my job - a job which is in the industry I am studying, offering experience etc. I am then free to take up a job again, without affecting BTEA. This makes absolutely no sense, as it almost promotes not working. A deciding officer came to speak with me and they basically told me this is the way things are since 2013, I and if I received the full amount in 2014 or 2013 that was a mistake. I asked if I could appeal and she told me there is no appealing. I went to reception and wrote up an appeal form all the same.

Hi just saw your post. I recently reduced my hours at work and I'm now on a part time contract. Can I claim BTEA?
    I only work Saturdays 9 hours.
    Someone told me there was an allowance but id have to meet certain conditions, one of those conditions was the number of hours I spent in collage, It was something like a maximum of 15/15 hours (not sure) is this BTEA?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭runswithascript

From welfare.ie FAQ:

This appeal was granted after I contacted several TDs, and I think the minister. Anyone new to BTEA since 2014/2015 and working part time will be means test, which seems very unfair, and will encourage people not to work part time.
    Hi just saw your post. I recently reduced my hours at work and I'm now on a part time contract. Can I claim BTEA?
    I only work Saturdays 9 hours.
    Someone told me there was an allowance but id have to meet certain conditions, one of those conditions was the number of hours I spent in collage, It was something like a maximum of 15/15 hours (not sure) is this BTEA?

If you are in receipt of a social welfare payment for a period, not sure if still 9 months or not, you should be able to apply - definitely chase it up with your local office, even if you just call them - depending on the office it may be very difficult to get someone on the phone, just keep trying. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

This appeal was granted after I contacted several TDs, and I think the minister. Anyone new to BTEA since 2014/2015 and working part time will be means test, which seems very unfair, and will encourage people not to work part time.

If you are in receipt of a social welfare payment for a period, not sure if still 9 months or not, you should be able to apply - definitely chase it up with your local office, even if you just call them - depending on the office it may be very difficult to get someone on the phone, just keep trying. Good luck!

Think that's my problem. I haven't been getting social welfare I was full time and reduced my hours to go to collage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Think that's my problem. I haven't been getting social welfare I was full time and reduced my hours to go to collage.

Check with them to see if there is anything they can do for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭jackinthemix94

There isn't. That's just tough luck unfortunately. Might be worth getting onto SUSI though and asking for a review under Change of Circumstances.

• Advertisement
Advertisement