Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PLC To Primary School Teaching

Options
  • 13-10-2015 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi there, I'm currently doing an arts degree in NUIM but I'm absolutely hating it. I was hoping to do the arts degree for 3 years and then do a Primary School teaching post grad but I don't think I can take 3 years of arts. Does anyone know if it's possible to move into a PLC and do primary school teaching afterwards? I have the HL C3 in Irish and I got 410 points in my LC but I've no idea what to do? All help would be greatly appreciated thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,152 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You would have to do a degree either way. I don't think there is a PLC route to any of the Primary Teaching courses.

That said, if you don't like Arts, I doubt you'll like any of the teacher training courses afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭castaway_lady

Unless something has changed lately and I don't think it has, there is no PLC direct link to Primary Teaching. But people going into Primary Teaching postgrads come from all sorts of degrees these days. So why not do a degree that's of more interest. Maybe Early Childhood Education?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 maigheo2014

From the perspective of current undergraduate of Primary School Teaching, you honestly couldn't be in a better course before doing a post grad! Arts is a great foundation and although you might dread it now, give it another few weeks and that might all change. Another option you have is to reapply to the CAO and look into doing another course? Arts is one of the few courses that will actually give you a brilliant foundation for teaching, but if that issn't working for you, an Early Childhood degree would be your best bet!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Hi there, I'm currently doing an arts degree in NUIM but I'm absolutely hating it. I was hoping to do the arts degree for 3 years and then do a Primary School teaching post grad but I don't think I can take 3 years of arts. Does anyone know if it's possible to move into a PLC and do primary school teaching afterwards? I have the HL C3 in Irish and I got 410 points in my LC but I've no idea what to do? All help would be greatly appreciated thank you

You can only move from a PLC into third level undergraduate courses, and only certain ones, depending on our PLC course.

What is your area of interest? What subjects would you really like to study?

Advertisement