Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training contract worries

Options
  • 13-10-2015 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I'm two years into a training contract with a medium sized accounting firm in Dublin. I absolutely hate it, I've felt like this for over a year but I'm not quite sure what my options are. I'm waiting for my FAE results (which I don't think will be positive) in November before I can really sit down and think what my next step is.
    I was wondering if anybody else had any similar experiences or knew what the options were for maybe transferring to another firm for the time remaining on my contract? Or pursuing acca exams instead?
    I do want to get the qualification, my problem is with the firm itself, a ridiculously high level of staff turnover, workplace bullying and increased pressure is making my time there just miserable and I can't imagine what finishing out my time there would do for my mental health. Any thoughts are welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 johnk2015

Just sent you a message

• Registered Users Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Op If you have already felt like this for a year then the next year and a half are going to be even harder, especially when you have the exams done so you won't be getting the break from the office in the form of study leave.

As someone who was in a training contract who hated the place, I know how you feel. However the first two years of my contract were enjoyable, but then the recession kicked in, great qualified staff were let go and the management practices and inconsistency of staff treatment made it an unhappy place to work. No one should have to drive to or from work in tears. No one should have to take time out of work for stomach issues brought on by stress. I did stick it out and was handed my P45 on the last day of my contract. Back then it's wasn't very common to transfer in contract.

At the end of the day I got my qualification but it affected me afterwards. I was very doubtful as to my abilities as an accountant and still to this day I doubt myself and don't feel as qualified or good enough compared with other accountants.

Op you are now at a bit of a crossroads in your training - you have the exams more or less done and you are about half way through your training - use this to your advantage for YOUR FUTURE. If you want to stay in practice, transfer to another practise. If you want to move to industry now would be the time in your training to do it.

Best of luck.

Advertisement