Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running in winter - Which socks?

Options
  • 13-10-2015 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm a novice runner, started two months ago out of necessity. At the beginning, even just the idea of running was detestable to me, until I actually did for the first time, with proper gear. I've been following the C25K plan for a while now and I'm very happy about this new activity. :)

What I would need to find out now is which socks I should use to run in Winter, when it's very cold. I have the rest of the gear (gloves, hat, jacket, trousers), but only the running socks I've been using in Summer. They are padded and elastic, designed for running, but I'm not sure how they will behave in case of cold, wet weather.

Any suggestion on the best socks would be very welcome. Thanks. :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Sandwell

I'd wear the same kind of socks all year round. Your feet should never be cold while running.

However, if you're going to be regularly getting your feet wet, for example splashing through mud and puddles while trail running, then Merino or other wool-based socks are good as they dry quickly. Smartwool and Icebreaker do nice, but pricey, Merino running socks.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

To be honest, the same socks you use in the summer are just fine and dandy for the winter. You don't need special winter socks and certainly don't buy normal woolly socks whatever you do :eek: :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You probably won't need anything different for the feet really.

The only extras I'd have during the winter are hat, gloves and a reflective top that keeps the wind out. Your legs should be fine as they are keeping themselves warm by doing the work of running.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

To be honest with you, you have more than me, and I am running since March. I have not even though about gloves, hat or jacket yet. I think I run pretty hot so, unsure when I will feel the need for a jacket never mind the under layers, or mid layers that some might use.
    Funny thing is when I am not active, I am the one who usually feels the cold.
    I can't imagine changing my socks either.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭daigo75

Thanks everybody for the suggestions, I guess I can keep using the socks I have, then. They also dry very quickly when they get wet, as I experienced first hand running in the forest.

Now that I think about it, my top is not very reflective, I will have to fix that with some extras (not that there are many vehicles in the woods, anyway).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Running gear in Aldi on Thursday, reflective jacket among the items on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Button_y

Socks and most gear is the same all year round. On a very hot day I may wear a vest otherwise t-shirts and on a cold day I may wear top with long sleeves. I have a couple of base layer tops and a full length tights for icy cold days otherwise the gear doesn't really differ. I don't like been warm while running so generally don't bother with hat or gloves. I try to avoid going out in the rain but if its raining when I'm out it doesn't really bother me if I get wet. I have a jacket from aldi from a few years ago that I use if going out in the wet but rarely use it.

If I'm feeling cold I need to pick up the pace

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I wear 1000 mile socks all year around, I stopped wearing them at one stage and got a blister. Ive never a problem in them and they are double layered so nice and warm. They cost around €15 a pair, I got mine in Elverys but I'm sure most of the running shops would stock them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

1000 mile is certainly the business but I try to save mine for races and important long runs. I have some Nike dry fit socks which are great but I also have three or four pairs of (pretty ugly it has to be said) Aldi/Lidl socks which are fantastically hard wearing and great for the bread and butter runs. Don't what they make those socks out of but they are tough, comfortable, and do the job.

Advertisement