Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reexperience with hypnosis?

Options
  • 12-10-2015 4:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭

Is it possible to be hypnotised and go back and experience the past as if you were there i.e not just memory. And i mean the past i n this life not so called 'past lives' which i do not believe in

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

No.

Experiments have shown that subjects confabulate. In other words, they make things up. They were shown film of traffic accidents, and then put under hypnosis and asked to recall the number plate of the car. They would try to give a number.

But they'd never seen the number plate in the film.

And look up "false memory" - and those people weren't even hypnotised.

On the other hand, you can re-experience traumatic memories. But the remembering changes the memory by processing it. The re-experiencing comes about because the memory was never processed.

Memory is not a solid thing at all, it is extremely malleable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭JonJones

No.

Experiments have shown that subjects confabulate. In other words, they make things up. They were shown film of traffic accidents, and then put under hypnosis and asked to recall the number plate of the car. They would try to give a number.

But they'd never seen the number plate in the film.

And look up "false memory" - and those people weren't even hypnotised.

On the other hand, you can re-experience traumatic memories. But the remembering changes the memory by processing it. The re-experiencing comes about because the memory was never processed.

Memory is not a solid thing at all, it is extremely malleable.
    i know about false memories. i was wondewring if real memories could be re experienced as distinct from re remembered

• Registered Users Posts: 9 MindWorker

Memory recall is greatly heightened within a hypnotic (trance) state. False memories are an issue with layman acting as hypnotists. This is certainly an area that should be worked at at a clinical level by an educated, qualified, clinical hypnotherapist.

JuliasCaeser's comment is spot on.

As a clinical hypnotherapist, it's quite typical that I have people recall memories vividly in trance; however, that's only if it serves a therapeutic purpose and while doing so, I am extremely careful in how this is done to not confabulate the memory.

Do keep this is mind, as false memory syndrome is a serious issue by untrained psychologist and psychotherapists which has wrecked many people's lives as a result of a false memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Memory is not a recording; it's a coding and recoding. Elizabeth Loftus has done amazing work in this area.

Advertisement