Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

22 month old suddenly waking frequently...

Options
  • 11-10-2015 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    as the title says, our little lad has been waking more and more frequently over the past few weeks - he'll be in bed by 7:30 and he used to sleep until at least 3 or 4 in the am before waking up for a drink and then back to sleep. But lately, by the time we'll have gone to bed ourselves (around 11pm), he'll have woken 2 - maybe 3 times. We'll give him a drink and soothe him back to sleep each time, but it's like a timebomb because we know he'll wake again...

I don't know what has caused this change in his sleeping, I just know I would love to have my evenings back!
    Is there a 22 month sleep regression / mental leap thing? I don't think he's getting his 2 year molars yet - I just checked his gums today...

I would love to get him back to sleeping a bit longer between wakings - especially since we have a new baby arriving in 10 days time!

Anyone got any advice?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Maybe he's waking because he knows he'll get a drink and a back rub. My daughter was a terror for not sleeping and we totally cut out drinks of any kind (she'd even wake for water!) around her 2nd birthday. It took a week or so of sushing her in her cot and saying no drink, we love you now go asleep but she relented and her sleeping did improve. She's still not guaranteed to sleep through but a quick peek into her room and telling her to go asleep works now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I see you've a new baby due soon so I'd recommend you break the habit of drinks now. It'll be harder when you're trying to feed a newborn in the middle of the night too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. I was also thinking the water thing might be feeding his waking sessions.

From info weaned from other threads here, we went from giving him milk to just water, and then when he kept waking we reduced the amount of water that we give him, hoping that that would be enough to put him off waking for it -- but actually I think he wants it even more now :confused: I suppose we're just goingto have to cut him off after one drink. The thoughts of it though - we may have earplugs at the ready!

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

If it's sudden maybe he's genuinely thirsty or for some reason looking for reassurance. Has his diet changed at all. My little fella is a lot younger but I find if he has dinner that I hadn't made he drinks more (I don't use salt) or if he's had a lot of cheese he'll need more water.

About how many weeks old is he, I'll check te wonder weeks app for a leap if you like.

Advertisement