Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Custom Fit - Fota Island or Fore Golf

Options
  • 11-10-2015 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

All,

I have more or less always bought golf clubs based on price and what they look like + reviews etc.....

My irons are about 7 years old (Callaway x20 blades). Playing off 16 HC.

So I am going for a new set of irons........

Tried local shops enquiring abput custom fits and I was simply not impressed.

I am about 2hrs from Foregolf. 1 Hour from Fota. I looked at Carton House and do only do Titleist.

I am either going to go with Fota Island OR Foregolf.

Any experiences with these guys out there?
    Opinions/Comment welcome.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭big_drive

Probably get a bigger range to pick from with Foregolf

Fota might only work with a couple of particular brands

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭GoingForIt

Fota do the major 4.....Callaway, Ping, Titleist and Taylor made.

I am leaning towards Foregolf coz they do it ALL the time...it is their business

my concern about Fota is that they are not full-time doing custom fits....

but Fota is just down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

Drive Golf Performance in Glanmire better then Fota.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Dbu

Drive Golf Performance in Glanmire better then Fota.

anyone have any experiences with these guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Went to fore golf recently and they are good, my mate went as well and between the 2 of us a new driver shaft is all they tried to sell us.
    No pressure to buy anything and the fitting was great.

• Advertisement

Went to fore golf recently and they are good, my mate went as well and between the 2 of us a new driver shaft is all they tried to sell us.
    No pressure to buy anything and the fitting was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭benny79

I will second Fore golf excellent set up and very knowledgeable people when it comes to custom fitting. Although a bit pricey but you get what you pay for as they say!

i am leaning towards fore golf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

I went to foregolf at start of summer and can honestly say it was the best 100 Euro I ever spent on golf (+ small fortune I spent on clubs) Derek really knows his stuff but is totally understanding and doesn't force you to buy anything and usually offers you the cheaper option if there is no difference in performance

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Another happy Foregolf customer here...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Brendygg

I went to Foregolf, was a similar handicap to yourself. Wish I had listened to more people on most of threads bout club fitting and spent the money on more lessons rather than custom fitting.

Brendygg wrote: »
    I went to Foregolf, was a similar handicap to yourself. Wish I had listened to more people on most of threads bout club fitting and spent the money on more lessons rather than custom fitting.

Have to say unless u are willing to put in 100s of hours practice lessons can be overrated. If u have small faults or bad habits then the pro can fix them big changes neads thousands of reps to become ingrained which most of us don't hve time for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 The Fota Collection

GoingForIt wrote: »
    All,

I have more or less always bought golf clubs based on price and what they look like + reviews etc.....

My irons are about 7 years old (Callaway x20 blades). Playing off 16 HC.

So I am going for a new set of irons........

Tried local shops enquiring abput custom fits and I was simply not impressed.

I am about 2hrs from Foregolf. 1 Hour from Fota. I looked at Carton House and do only do Titleist.

I am either going to go with Fota Island OR Foregolf.

Any experiences with these guys out there?
    Opinions/Comment welcome.....

Thank you very much for considering playing golf at Fota Island Resort.
    <Mod Snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

mike12 wrote: »
    Have to say unless u are willing to put in 100s of hours practice lessons can be overrated. If u have small faults or bad habits then the pro can fix them big changes neads thousands of reps to become ingrained which most of us don't hve time for.

But a custom fit will???

I understand the custom fit vs lessons thing. My plan is to go for custom fit then lessons so that I amin good nick for start of next year. Absolute max that I will be doing over the next 3 to 4 years is 1 evening down the range and 1 round of golf per week.

So I am thinking of doing the golf clinic in carton house or fota.

After custom fit I will spend 100 to 200 on lessons.......then thats it.......ssee how I go....

But a custom fit will???

If u don't have time to put in a lot of hours on the range custom fit will at least get the max out of what u have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

GoingForIt wrote: »
    I understand the custom fit vs lessons thing. My plan is to go for custom fit then lessons so that I amin good nick for start of next year. Absolute max that I will be doing over the next 3 to 4 years is 1 evening down the range and 1 round of golf per week.

So I am thinking of doing the golf clinic in carton house or fota.

After custom fit I will spend 100 to 200 on lessons.......then thats it.......ssee how I go....

If you get custom fitted now you will be fitted based on your current swing or your swing on that current day really. I'm not sure what your swing or game is like at the moment but if you go for lessons this is likely to change and as a result your custom fitted clubs might not be best for your changed swing.

I always think it is better to be sure of how you are going to be swinging the club before getting custom fitted. Kind of defeats the purpose being custom fitted then going for lessons to change/improve your swing.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

pistol_75 wrote: »
    If you get custom fitted now you will be fitted based on your current swing or your swing on that current day really. I'm not sure what your swing or game is like at the moment but if you go for lessons this is likely to change and as a result your custom fitted clubs might not be best for your changed swing.

I always think it is better to be sure of how you are going to be swinging the club before getting custom fitted. Kind of defeats the purpose being custom fitted then going for lessons to change/improve your swing.

One of the biggest old wives tales in golf, ive changed my swing many times over the years, and my club specs have remained exactly the same and if you ask any knowledgeable player they will im sure agree!

Foregolf are market leaders, possibly worldwide, but if it has to be Cork you go to then Drive Golf performance would be the choice, Fota is a resort club and custom fitting is very low on their list of business priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Dbu

One of the biggest old wives tales in golf, ive changed my swing many times over the years, and my club specs have remained exactly the same and if you ask any knowledgeable player they will im sure agree!

Foregolf are market leaders, possibly worldwide, but if it has to be Cork you go to then Drive Golf performance would be the choice, Fota is a resort club and custom fitting is very low on their list of business priorities.

Cheers, all I wanted to know:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Would it be fair to say your "changes" may not be as severe as the majority of beginner/improving handicap golfers given your low index? I think it's a reasonable point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

Would it be fair to say your "changes" may not be as severe as the majority of beginner/improving handicap golfers given your low index? I think it's a reasonable point.

Everyone's key points don't change very much, height, swingspeed, lie angle at impact etc, i can only give myself as an example.

A total beginner that gets fitted and then gets lessons would be the other extreme and would of course change a bit, but i dont think someone who plays regularly would change enough to render fitted clubs useless.

I agree with you totally. I guess what I'm trying to saw is that for a complete beginner or newbie to golf they could be investing their money a lot more wisely than in custom fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

pistol_75 wrote: »
    I agree with you totally. I guess what I'm trying to saw is that for a complete beginner or newbie to golf they could be investing their money a lot more wisely than in custom fitting.

I wouldn't call a guy off 16 a complete beginner, he's been playing for years.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I wouldn't call a guy off 16 a complete beginner, he's been playing for years.

My comment wasn't in reference to the OP just a general comment regarding custom fitting. No offence meant to him and apologies if there was any.

For myself, I used to have a huge slice so it was a big swing change to get rid of that was off 18 at the time. Have been fitted 4 times for irons when I was off 18 when I was off 8 and last week by Foregolf projectx 6.0 shafts still the same as 6 years ago.
    Driver shaft was all I bought it was one that worked well with my sldr head.

The guy 2 fittings ahead of me ended up with new shafts in his irons and woods, same swing but was gaining around 15 yards per iron with the correct shaft.
    The driver same swing same head different shaft he was gaining almost 50 yards with half the distance spread. He went from a regular shaft to a tipped stiff shaft.
    He may be an extreme example but those sort of gains have to lead to an improvement in scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭THEFRIDGE

So op did you head to foregolf and get the results you wanted?

Advertisement