Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mean and RMS

Options
  • 11-10-2015 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭

Can't understand where I have gone wrong on these two. Answer from the book are miles from mine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

RMS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

Mean value

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

The first thing I have to say is that I know nothing about the rms and the mean formulae. I am presuming that your first lines are correct.

With regards the rms, your formula says to square everything. It looks like you forgot to square the 25 in your first line in blue.

With regards the mean, when you are putting in the limits of integration, you said that the [latex]-\frac{1}{100\pi}\cos(100 \pi (0))=0[/latex]. That is not true. It is [latex]-\frac{1}{100\pi}[/latex].

Pretty good effort all in all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Just as TheBody pointed out that cos(0) = 1, so too you should note that cos(1000*Pi) is also 1, so the overall expression yields 0.

By the way, where did you get the 0.0795 - it seems like 1/(4*Pi), which would not be correct anyway...

Advertisement