Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying back a watch you previously sold

Options
  • 11-10-2015 1:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Have any of you previously sold a watch and then had the opportunity to buy it back? If so how did it work out, did you end up keeping it or flipping it again?

A few months ago I had to sell off a few of my watches to sort out my finances and one of those was my beloved Steinhart Vintage GMT. A few days ago I was offered it back by the buyer and I was given the watch and as much time as I need to decide if I want to buy, if not could I sell it for him. It just seems strange buying my own watch back, it doesn't feel like a new arrival it's more like an old friend that has been my loyal travel watch for a couple of years..

It has been sitting in it's box while I decide whether to buy or not, but it feels like I should buy it for old times sake :o

IMG_5044_zps977c3e63.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Its a bit like an old flame offering to go out with you again! If it feels like you and the watch have unfinished business then go for it.
    True love and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

I've only ever sold two watches but I've spent countless hours thinking about buying replacements or indeed contacting the buyers to see if I could get them back. In the end i decided that if I was willing to part with them once I'd probably end up doing the same again if I got them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,768 ✭✭✭893bet

Buy it! Easy sell again!

I have never sold a watch without regret. Grass is always greener.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭Homer

Buy it! Sure somebody here will take it off you if you get bored with it no doubt. Looks lovely

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Menas wrote: »
    Its a bit like an old flame offering to go out with you again! If it feels like you and the watch have unfinished business then go for it.
    True love and all that.
    This, though if any non watch person is reading this we've proven conclusively that some of us need sectioning. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

You say you sold it (and others) due to your financial circumstances at the time. Are you now in a better position? If yes buy it, if no then don't.

Or, just buy it and deal with the consequences later.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Wear it for a day and see how it goes, if you still like it and can afford it, buy it.

Or is this a very thinly veiled ad:confused:?

I have to agree with what wibbs said as well.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

I've only ever sold two watches but I've spent countless hours thinking about buying replacements or indeed contacting the buyers to see if I could get them back. In the end i decided that if I was willing to part with them once I'd probably end up doing the same again if I got them back.

Same as my old flames policy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

Menas wrote: »
    True love and all that.

Well said but somehow it feels like cheating on the girl that replaced her.

Wibbs wrote: »
    This, though if any non watch person is reading this we've proven conclusively that some of us need sectioning. :D

Are we still talking about watches? :eek:

Senecio wrote: »
    You say you sold it (and others) due to your financial circumstances at the time. Are you now in a better position? If yes buy it, if no then don't.

Or, just buy it and deal with the consequences later.

According to the wife I will find a way or an excuse to buy it anyways if I really want it. :rolleyes:

blue5000 wrote: »
    Wear it for a day and see how it goes, if you still like it and can afford it, buy it.

Or is this a very thinly veiled ad:confused:?

I have to agree with what wibbs said as well.

I love the watch, the price is right but it feels strange having my own watch back.

Not a veiled advert, it was a very genuine question.

Most here would know that I am a serial flipper just check my adverts account, not to mention the other 30 or so sold on other watch forums. If the watch is to be sold I would not list it locally as I have yet to see any Steinhart sold in Ireland at it's market value. Just last night a boardsies Steinhart OVM MK1 sold on eBay at €300 which is a real bargain, they sell on watchrecon between $450 - $600.

I think Homer and Cyrus had a similar issue with regards to a Panerai that one sold to the other.

Another watch I sold to a boardsie went missing on him on holidays earlier in the year. When he told me what had happened it was like an old friend had died. :(

We are a weird bunch and it is strange the way we attach ourselves to watches.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

They only one I would like to have the opportunity again to buy is the Aquatimer..

I had the chance to buy the Panerai mentioned (think it was a base 000) and regretted not buying it and thus am trying to get one now.

Always liked that GMT and would fancy a go myself

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭emo72

ah no R, why are you tormenting me? that steinhart is lovely.

Advertisement