Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hammer N4400 Bandsaw - First Blade??

Options
  • 10-10-2015 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hello,

After a long time saving I have just taken delivery of a Hammer N4400 Bandsaw. It came earlier than expected so I haven't got round to buying my first blade so I can set her up and get cracking. After a quick look here and elsewhere when ordering the saw, I decided to buy a blade separately.

On some UK forums I have seen Tuff Saws and Dure Edge saws recommended for the quality of their blades.

Can anyone recommend somewhere in / near Dublin to buy quality bandsaw blades?

To begin with I'll be cutting mostly one inch oak and walnut, but would like to get a blade which can achieve this and also perhaps some more general purpose tasks such as 3/8 birch ply. (Or should I get a completely separate blade for ply?)

In any case I want to get a high quality general purpose blade.

What are your recommendations?

Where do you get your blades?

One recommendation for Dublin has been Saw and Tool Supplies at the Red Cow Hotel. Has anybody any experience of them? What blade brands do they carry?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Swift66 wrote: »
    Hello,

After a long time saving I have just taken delivery of a Hammer N4400 Bandsaw. It came earlier than expected so I haven't got round to buying my first blade so I can set her up and get cracking. After a quick look here and elsewhere when ordering the saw, I decided to buy a blade separately.

On some UK forums I have seen Tuff Saws and Dure Edge saws recommended for the quality of their blades.

Can anyone recommend somewhere in / near Dublin to buy quality bandsaw blades?

To begin with I'll be cutting mostly one inch oak and walnut, but would like to get a blade which can achieve this and also perhaps some more general purpose tasks such as 3/8 birch ply. (Or should I get a completely separate blade for ply?)

In any case I want to get a high quality general purpose blade.

What are your recommendations?

Where do you get your blades?

One recommendation for Dublin has been Saw and Tool Supplies at the Red Cow Hotel. Has anybody any experience of them? What blade brands do they carry?

Cheers

Your best bet is to contact them and tell them what you plan to be using them for. After all, they are the guys in the know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭jack of all

My knowledge and experience with the bandsaw is limited but I have bought a few blades from Tuff Saws for a hobby bandsaw. The guy that owns Tuff Saws is extremely knowledeable and helpful, if you email him with your requirements he'll recommend the best set up for your bandsaw. I also bought a blade from Axminster (Excalibur) and found it of comparable quality to those from Tuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

I have the Hammer N4400 and its a great machine. I tend use it for anything over 3" as I have a 3 tpi Tuffsaw sabre blade on it. These are about £17.50 each but they last at least six months - - with me anyway :rolleyes:
    Choosing a blade is always a compromise between tpi, blade width and cost.I have to say I use mail order for convenience. A trip to Dublin is the price of a blade to me.
    Luckily I kept my smaller Multico bandsaw so have the luxury of fitting a fine 10 tpi blade which gets plenty of use for cutting small dimension pieces.

Advertisement