Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunk cost fallacy

Options
  • 10-10-2015 3:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭

I was reading an interview with Sam Harris about his new new book that he co-authored with a former Islamist extremist (Maajid Nawaz), and he talked about religion being the ultimate instance of the "sunk cost fallacy". Never heard of the phrase before even though I knew of its premise i.e. people have so much invested in their religious beliefs (going to mass, raising their children in a religious manner, countless hours praying etc.) that any doubts that they may have about religion dissipates because of the huge time and effort already put into their religious identities.

I've seen signs of this fallacy after metaphysical discussions with religious people who admitted doubt, and to me it was a resignation of not willing to forego the lifelong time and effort in a concept that quite possibly could be imaginary.

Knowing that some of you are not Sam Harris fans, here is a link to the interview in the Huffington Post. The goal of the book is to "to begin a conversation that encourages the creation of a neutral, decidedly secular political space in which people, including conservative Muslims, can share and criticize ideas without persecution, from within or without."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,223 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Well it stands to reason that people will resist a change in their thinking which will render their investment of a lot of time, and quite often a lot of money also, redundant.

Good luck with his ideal of muslims being able to openly question and/or reject their faith though without, at best, some severe shunning...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

The co-author Nawaz is said to have reasoned his way out of Islamic fundamentalism. He is no longer a Muslim then (except in some "lapsed muslim" cultural sense) and is no different to someone who has reasoned their way out of Christianity. Obviously his insights and past experiences will be different to those of Harris, which is why he makes a good co-author.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

recedite wrote: »
    The co-author Nawaz is said to have reasoned his way out of Islamic fundamentalism. He is no longer a Muslim then (except in some "lapsed muslim" cultural sense) and is no different to someone who has reasoned their way out of Christianity. Obviously his insights and past experiences will be different to those of Harris, which is why he makes a good co-author.

Yes, that's why the article caught my eye initially i.e. a former religious fundamentalist teaming up with an Atheist to write a book.

Have to agree with HD that it's a lofty goal thinking that conservative Muslims might be open to a rational debate on religion.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Kivaro wrote: »
    [...] any doubts that they may have about religion dissipates because of the huge time and effort already put into their religious identities.
    Doubts can certainly dissipate, but they can be be suppressed as well - I'm thinking here of people for whom organizations like The Clergy Project is appropriate - a meeting space for people in religious jobs who no longer support the religious belief that got them where they are now:

http://clergyproject.org/

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

As a small aside, I've often wondered how many people play World of Warcraft primarily due to sunk cost.

Thousands of hours to build up a character. A monthly cost to keep access to him. Which lead to more time building it up, which leads to more compelling cost to not letting him go...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Kivaro wrote: »
    a former religious fundamentalist teaming up with an Atheist..
    I agree that is eyecatching, but a more P.C. description would be "two secularists writing a book", if both are at the same philosophical position now.

However the Muslims won't see it that way. The penalty for apostasy in sharia law is more than a severe shunning; it can be death.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,223 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

As a small aside, I've often wondered how many people play World of Warcraft primarily due to sunk cost.

Thousands of hours to build up a character. A monthly cost to keep access to him. Which lead to more time building it up, which leads to more compelling cost to not letting him go...

Kinda like a five-figure postcount on boards :p

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Have heard Maajid Nawaz interviewed a few times. BBC Newsnight and Bill Maher's show, iirc.

Advertisement