Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

FastNed Plans pan-EU rapid charging network

Options
  • 09-10-2015 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭

So... FastNed has stated they plan to expand their rapid charging network across the entire EU over the next few years.

Screen Shot 2015-10-09 at 4.01.07 p.m..jpg
    365061.jpg

For those of you who've never visited a FastNed station, they are rapid charing stations with multiple multi-standard rapid chargers and solar panels on top.

maxresdefault.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

They look like dogging spots. Apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Roen wrote: »
    They look like dogging spots. Apparently.

I wouldn't know.... how do you? :rolleyes: :D

Jeez... what if they become dogging spots and you need to stop for a charge?

"I'm just here for the 'leccy...no really!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

That's why I threw the 'apparently' in there. Perhaps allegedly would have been better.
    Never under estimate people's ability to subvert things.

On a serious note. 35c per KW according to their website. I wonder would we be charged the same rate as the Netherlands?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,226 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

One planned for the 2 million people in the greater Dublin area?

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    One planned for the 2 million people in the greater Dublin area?

For their network... and not 'til close to 2020 if they ever do it. ESB eCars have almost 20 rapid chargers.

I'm posting this because they have a couple of good ideas worth pointing out:

1. Multiple rapid chargers per location.
    2. space for up to 8 rapid chargers that can be prewired at little extra expense.
    3. looks like a refuelling spot rather than a parking space... because some people get confused.
    4. Shelter from the rain while plugging in
    5. Good branding increasing visibility

Roen wrote: »
    That's why I threw the 'apparently' in there. Perhaps allegedly would have been better.
    Never under estimate people's ability to subvert things.

On a serious note. 35c per KW according to their website. I wonder would we be charged the same rate as the Netherlands?

They have cheaper plans... doubt they would be worth it for the few locations they'd have in ireland if they ever build them.

I'm most interested in them as a possible roaming partner for ESB... planning to play matchmaker.

I wonder is load sharing applied like with the Tesla multiple DC installations ?

Seriously though, 3 locations by 2020 ?

Seriously though, 3 locations by 2020 ?

If that... it's talked about more aspirationally than a definite plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Dexter1979

They are great stations though. Starting and stopping a charge is fine via smartphone app or sms. No card required. Free internet for customers. Most importantly 99.8% uptime. And should one charger be down you most likely have a backup on the site.

When I was in Holland I used them a few times. Since ESB plan a monthly charge plus usage fees FastNed may well work out the same price. But I would welcome any competition!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭GreyDad

I think they're expensive but that might actually make them commercially viable. They have a good reputation though and what hasn't been mentioned is that their charging stations are all covered in solar PV panels.

Charge Your Car in the UK have just signed a reciprocal roaming agreement with them, for anyone who has a CYC account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭jprboy

GreyDad wrote: »
    I think they're expensive but that might actually make them commercially viable. They have a good reputation though and what hasn't been mentioned is that their charging stations are all covered in solar PV panels.

Charge Your Car in the UK have just signed a reciprocal roaming agreement with them, for anyone who has a CYC account.

cros13 did actually state that and also posted a pic where you could see them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

cros13 wrote: »
    Jeez... what if they become dogging spots and you need to stop for a charge?

"I'm just here for the 'leccy...no really!"

god , dogging , great idea, its a viewer sport , so a cup of latte and a view of the dogging activity, great way to pass the charging time.

clever lads these marketeers

back seats in the leaf are obviously roomy

Advertisement