Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

windows

Options
  • 09-10-2015 11:27am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭

Do I need a window to the side of the campervan? I have one to the front and back but not to the side.
    The metal is ribbed and it seems impossible to me to install a window as those ribs would leave gaps around the window.
    What is the minimum size required for the conversion?
    How would it be fitted?
    I am thinking a box inside the metal and fit the window in the box.
    If that is ok then can it be made of wood or does it need to be metal?
    I can fill up the gaps with filler? What type would be best?
    Also how many windows would I need on the side? The test man first told me one one window, then 4 windows 2 on each side, then 2 windows one on each side.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=size+window+camper+ireland&rls=com.microsoft:en-gb:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&safe=strict&gws_rd=cr,ssl&ei=rfsXVvPdDcKue7ublagP&safe=strict clearly states only back door should have a window. I have one there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Anita M. wrote: »
    Do I need a window to the side of the campervan? I have one to the front and back but not to the side.
    The metal is ribbed and it seems impossible to me to install a window as those ribs would leave gaps around the window.
    What is the minimum size required for the conversion?
    How would it be fitted?
    I am thinking a box inside the metal and fit the window in the box.
    If that is ok then can it be made of wood or does it need to be metal?
    I can fill up the gaps with filler? What type would be best?
    Also how many windows would I need on the side? The test man first told me one one window, then 4 windows 2 on each side, then 2 windows one on each side.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=size+window+camper+ireland&rls=com.microsoft:en-gb:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&safe=strict&gws_rd=cr,ssl&ei=rfsXVvPdDcKue7ublagP&safe=strict clearly states only back door should have a window. I have one there.

The revenue site says "It would be expected that the living accommodation space in the rear compartment would have side windows". There is no directive or legislation to support that however, mine was registered with one side window. There are plenty registered in the past with none.

What kind of van are you talking about the only ribbed one I can think of is a h van and even that had flat areas for windows.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I,d be very surprised if a wooden frame to carry the window is an option.

Wood, moving with the climate, as it does would give rise to all sorts of leaks. And you
    wouldn,t be able to seal around it with fillers, no matter what you did.

This company does all sort of seals for camper and caravan windows.
    http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/

But I think you need to pin down exactly what sort of window/glass arrangement
    is acceptable to this particular tester.
    You seem to be going through the wringer on this one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Anita M.

Thank you for the support and information.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Some details on here about types of windows and how to fit them.

Might be a thought to print this out and bring it to the tester, and ask him to HILITE

his best advice on which one to fit, plus any additional notes added. At least it might

clear the fog a bit for you. I haven,t read it fully, so I dont know if any regs mentioned

are IE or UK. But at least you have some details to pass by him.

http://www.campervanlife.com/fitting-windows-in-a-camper-van-conversion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

What kind of van is it?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Anita M.

Thank you all.

Advertisement