Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have no style

Options
  • 09-10-2015 9:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭

Help...I need help!! :o I've never been good with shopping for clothes.

I'm 37 and a size 12-14 and a size 16-18 for my chest, hence I wear a lot of black (self conscious) and not a lot of colour.

My wardrobe consists of skinny jeans and plain dark coloured tops, an odd ill fitting shirt for work and dresses for weddings, that's it!

I've no idea of what is classy or casual for my age but I don't want to look frumpy or mutton as lamb by wearing stuff too young for me or too old for me.

I would really appreciate advice on wardrobe staples or how to mix and match, or even if there is a website that is good for advice please let me know!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭HelgaWard

Hi,

I feel your pain. I used to work in Wallis when I was in college and used to feel sorry for the middle aged Mammy's who would come in to the shop in a massive rush and how thankful they would be if you pulled a nice outfit together to them. I remember one woman asking me, "but how did you know this would be nice on me?" as she never would have thought to try it and she loved it!! Fast forward the guts of 20 years and I recently realised that I am now one of those women!! I simply do not have the time to invest in wandering around the shops getting ideas, finding bargains etc etc!!

So what I started to do is follow fashion bloggers on Instagram. A quick look at a photo can give you an idea for an outfit. As Irish fashion bloggers go I like YStyle and Pippa O'Connor.

I think it is important to be comfortable and warm as well as stylish!! If I try something on, I will not buy it if it doesn't fit right. I have too many tops at the back of the wardrobe that are too low at the front or too long or need some other alteration that will never happen. Clothes look so much better on when they fit well.

By your description of your shape, I would imagine wrap tops and dresses would suit you lovely.

Every shop including Penny's, Dunnes, River Island etc all have a version of the wrap blouse at the moment. This one from Debenhams is a lovely colour:
    http://www.debenhams.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10052_10001_110010471230_-1

Styled with skinny jeans and some nice flats/boots this would look lovely. And could be worn with heels and some drop earring at night.

I've never used one, but alot of the larger shopping centres have personal stylists who will go shopping with you, might be worth it to get you started!!

Best of luck and happy shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

There are some lovely bootcut and skinny flare jeans and trousers available at the moment which would more than likely suit you and 'balance' your figure

Some of the skirt shapes that are about this season should suit you really well too - the ones that are fitted at the waist and flare out to a swishy A-line should be perfect for your figure http://www.coast-stores.com/p/lawley-printed-skirt/1493798?locale=en

As mentioned above, wrap and mock wrap tops and dresses are made for you, and anything fitted at the waist. As for the ill-fitting shirts, a friend of mine uses these and raves about them http://www.bravissimo.com/pepperberry/size-guide/ and I've seen a shirt in Dunnes recently that has a clever little panel with buttons visible as normal on the outside, and buttons in between fastening on the inside (but invisible to anyone else). Could be the solution to gaping between buttons on shirts/blouses you already own.

Fitted jackets and cardis rather than chunky, shapeless stuff is important too. Dorothy Perkins have a really fitted little biker jacket that would suit you as you could use it to define your waist by zipping it as far as your slimmest area of your waist/ribcage, leaving the top open but not gaping because of the shape of the jacket http://euro.dorothyperkins.com/en/dpeu/product/clothing-742124/jackets-coats-2055919/biker-jackets-742646/black-collarless-stitch-jacket-4576684?bi=0&ps=20

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

If you have the time/ money, consider booking a personal stylist in one of the department stores like Debenhams or something. A friend of mine did it in Arnotts (I think) and it was brilliant. She'd not really thought about stuff like that since before she had her son, and she felt it was great to get an idea of what she could/ should be wearing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Daenarys

HelgaWard wrote: »

used to feel sorry for the middle aged Mammy's

Holy crap, is 37 considered middle aged?? :eek:

Thanks for all the suggestions girls, very helpful. If I had the money I would invest in a personal stylist definitely but the money just isn't there for that luxury.

Good idea about the bloggers, thinking about it I like Maia Dunphy's style....must find more middle aged bloggers :D:D:D

Daenarys wrote: »

Thanks for all the suggestions girls, very helpful. If I had the money I would invest in a personal stylist definitely but the money just isn't there for that luxury.

Good idea about the bloggers, thinking about it I like Maia Dunphy's style....must find more middle aged bloggers :D:D:D

There's a free or redeemable stylist service available in lots of department stores and I think in Dundrum too, might be worth looking in to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

Daenarys wrote: »

Hi OP
    I'm 37 too. Last year I decided I had enough of being frumpy. My wardrobe was full of half outfits not knowing how to finish them. I'm same shape as you but bigger sizes and didn't know how to dress for my shape I was fed up of looking and feeling crap.

I went to a stylist and I have to say it was best money I ever spent. It was €40 for the hour. We shopped in shops I normally shop in. You set the budget yourself. I spent €150 that day and came home with a capsule wardrobe and that I could build on. If I had went shopping myself I wouldn't home with even 1full outfit. That day I came home with at least 4 .

I got my confidence back to try on different clothes and realised that I can wear nice clothes even though I'm heavy.

I have a start point now when I go shopping. I actually saved money in the long run as I don't need to go shopping everytime I going somewhere.

I also went for a makeup lesson. I thought I was going to learn technique but colours I was wearing were completely wrong. That was €60 but redeemable against products on the day. Well worth doing too.

€250 and I have my mojo back! Seriously consider going to a stylist. Maybe ask your Family/friends/partner for money for Xmas???

Skater dresses are our friend OP!
    http://m.dorothyperkins.com/h5/product?productId=20046980
    this is great shape dress with the pretty collar
    http://m.wallis.co.uk/h5/product?productId=21369196. Fab blazer. The way it falls it highlights the slimmest part of your waist.
    These with a pair of black tights and black heels or wedges and you are ready work/night out/lunch with friends.
    (Sorry for the long post)

Mollyd90 wrote: »
    Hi OP
    I'm 37 too. Last year I decided I had enough of being frumpy. My wardrobe was full of half outfits not knowing how to finish them. I'm same shape as you but bigger sizes and didn't know how to dress for my shape I was fed up of looking and feeling crap.

I went to a stylist and I have to say it was best money I ever spent. It was €40 for the hour. We shopped in shops I normally shop in. You set the budget yourself. I spent €150 that day and came home with a capsule wardrobe and that I could build on. If I had went shopping myself I wouldn't home with even 1full outfit. That day I came home with at least 4 .

I got my confidence back to try on different clothes and realised that I can wear nice clothes even though I'm heavy.

I have a start point now when I go shopping. I actually saved money in the long run as I don't need to go shopping everytime I going somewhere.

I also went for a makeup lesson. I thought I was going to learn technique but colours I was wearing were completely wrong. That was €60 but redeemable against products on the day. Well worth doing too.

€250 and I have my mojo back! Seriously consider going to a stylist. Maybe ask your Family/friends/partner for money for Xmas???

Skater dresses are our friend OP!
    http://m.dorothyperkins.com/h5/product?productId=20046980
    this is great shape dress with the pretty collar
    http://m.wallis.co.uk/h5/product?productId=21369196. Fab blazer. The way it falls it highlights the slimmest part of your waist.
    These with a pair of black tights and black heels or wedges and you are ready work/night out/lunch with friends.
    (Sorry for the long post)

Thanks Molly! I'll send you a DM if that's ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Have a look on Pinterest for outfit ideas. I pin things that I like. Over time I found the styles that suited me and my wardrobe now has really changed. Plenty of capsule outfits on it and how to wear things differently depending on the season.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Is it only 40 for an hour for a stylist?
    Do they have one in dundrum?
    I have a fair idea of what suits me but it's completing an outfit I can get stuck on

bluewolf wrote: »
    Is it only 40 for an hour for a stylist?
    Do they have one in dundrum?
    I have a fair idea of what suits me but it's completing an outfit I can get stuck on

In Dundrum it's €65 for 2 hours and you get a parking voucher and a make up consultation voucher free. As far as I know it's not redeemable but it's supposed to be a great service! I've recently lost a lot of weight and I've considered doing this to help me get an idea of what suits me now and maybe take me out of a style rut...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭HelgaWard

When I was 19 I thought that 37 was middle aged, now that I am actually 37 my perspective has changed somewhat!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Check out Louise o Reilly on stylemecurvy on Instagram.... I think she's around around your size and Shops in Ireland... Just good for ideas that's not a size 8-10, which is more realistic I think

ArtyC wrote: »
    Check out Louise o Reilly on stylemecurvy on Instagram.... I think she's around around your size and Shops in Ireland... Just good for ideas that's not a size 8-10, which is more realistic I think

Thanks Arty, had a look, we wouldn't be similar. She doesn't have big boobs and she's quite evenly proportioned.

I'm all up top, like I'm a 34G and would wear size 12 in skirts and pants in H&M. That's what makes shopping in normal shops so hard, when I have bought dresses for weddings I have to buy 16/18 and have it completely taken in once it fits around the boobs.

I've given up because I can't find anything that fits right, the shops that make clothes specifically for your chest size are ridiculously expensive so I have decided I'm going to go with a personal stylist when I have some money saved up. It's the only way to see what's in the shops to suits me, that I can't see!

Thank you ladies!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

House of Fraser in Dundrum used to have a free stylist. I used her when I came back from maternity leave to look more professional and less like a mummy!

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

I've used the personal shopper in Debenhams loads of times, no pressure and found her brilliant. I'd highly recommend using one.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭PinkChick

Have a look on Pinterest for outfit ideas. I pin things that I like. Over time I found the styles that suited me and my wardrobe now has really changed. Plenty of capsule outfits on it and how to wear things differently depending on the season.

Stupid question but what do you search for on Pinterest?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lynnsback

OP, Bravissimo is indeed very expensive. However, there are other full busted clothing companies out there that are much cheaper. Check out urkye.pl and biubiu.pl.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I follow people on Instagram for ideas of how to put clothes together. I find Pinterest very samey: it's all jeans, top and boots/shoes. If you follow people on Instagram like ystyle (I think she's a bit samey but you can follow other people through her) or kelllieglammam it'll give you ideas about what's in the Irish shops now. They're skinny Minnie's but it'll give you ideas at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Like how strange, I also follow people on Instagram but I find they all begin to get samey and they've very little individual taste. I know what I like and im defo a jeans and flat boots kind of girl rather than a heels person. I think a lot of styling is about finding out what you like and feel comfortable in and then try to style around those items. I think if you try to follow a trend that isn't your particular style, you'll never quite get it right.

yellow hen wrote: »
    Like how strange, I also follow people on Instagram but I find they all begin to get samey and they've very little individual taste. I know what I like and im defo a jeans and flat boots kind of girl rather than a heels person. I think a lot of styling is about finding out what you like and feel comfortable in and then try to style around those items. I think if you try to follow a trend that isn't your particular style, you'll never quite get it right.

I'm more interested in looking age appropriate than being on trend. I've never followed trends because they never rarely suited my body shape. I'm confused now as to what women my age would wear without looking like a nana but still classy and to fit my shape.....not too much to ask is it :D I'm going to check out those girls on instagram anyway to see their style thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I used the personal shopping service in Arnotts recently. I would highly recommend. I had two babies close together and was living in breastfeeding and maternity clothes for almost three years. I told the women I had no idea what suited me and I didn't know what I wanted at all, apart from some work and some casual clothes. She made me try on stuff I'd never look at twice and I bought a lot as I'd been saving up. I wanted to look more put together and less mumsy. It gave me a lot more confidence and I've slowly added a few more different things to my wardrobe and got a slightly different hairstyle to change things up a bit.
    I read a good few fashion blogs but I never get great inspiration from them. Also my shape has changed since I've had my children and I'm no longer in the mood for the shorter skirts and more out there clothes. I needed to try on a whole range of things to get back some style.

Advertisement