Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abbylara incident

Options
  • 08-10-2015 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi Lads,

Thoughts on the abbylara ERU incident several years ago im sure you have all heard of the story, what do you guys think of the way it was handled?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ODEON123

foreign wrote: »
    All the good guys came home safe so a top job done.

I agree with you 100% man it was a good job but a lot of people dont agree with us so I would like to hear them and their views:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

All the good guys came home safe so a top job done.
    You mean all the 'good guys' came home with grossly enlarged egos.
    We can only despair when we read comments like yours.
    A virtually harmless individual in dire need of help was needlessly gunned down. Wonder what your attitude would be if his parents were part of the 'golden circle' in this country.

Why? It's like asking anti water charge protesters what they think of how their 'peaceful protest's' are policed. Who cares.

Well thats like saying whats the point of disscusions on boards? I care what people think

washman3 wrote: »
    A virtually harmless individual in dire need of help was needlessly gunned down. Wonder what your attitude would be if his parents were part of the 'golden circle' in this country.

I must apologise, I was mixing up the Abbeylara incident with the IRA Robbery of a security van in Wicklow. http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/terrorist-killed-in-blue-flu-shootout-26185628.html

Obviously completely different situations but while reports have found fault leading up to the shooting the members outside were left with little option to do what was done. Tragic situation which if it occurred today would be handled differently.

I'll delete my earlier posts.

washman3 wrote: »

It was one of the first sieges the ERU had to deal with, the negotiator took a shot at the mans leg which 9/10 times would have taken him down but it didnt so they took the right steps and took out a dangerous armed man who was walking towards unarmed guards with a firearm although it wasnt perfect it was a good job

It was also a legally held firearm that was taken off him a few months earlier due to mental illness but a doctor cleared him again so he was allowed have the firearm given back to him so in a way it is very much the states fault for his death

• Advertisement

I must apologise, I was mixing up the Abbeylara incident with the IRA Robbery of a security van in Wicklow. http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/terrorist-killed-in-blue-flu-shootout-26185628.html

Obviously completely different situations but while reports have found fault leading up to the shooting the members outside were left with little option to do what was done. Tragic situation which if it occurred today would be handled differently.

I'll delete my earlier posts.

haha its fine, yeah it wasnt perfect but was executed to a decent standard if something like this happened in any other country he would have been shot the second he came out the door with the gun

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Harry Bosch.

If you read the Barr tribunal you will read that it was far from a good job. Why would a tribunal be held and the FBI brought in to examine the actions of An Garda Siochana in the aftermath. One has to look at the list of failures that occurred from the outset and during the siege,look at the list of recommendations laid out and implemented after this siege,and lets not forget the Garda Commissioner and the government apologising. The only good thing was that no members got killed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

@ODEON123:

I don't know what your real intent is here, but doing a 'bait and switch' from a seemingly innocent 'ho-hum just wondering' opening post, when in actual fact it turns out that you have both knowledge of the incident, and an opinion to boot - "a lot of people dont agree with us".

That's another way of saying it looks like you had a hidden agenda in creating this thread. Instead of "I would like to hear them and their views:D", this thread has all the hallmarks of someone trolling, and that is something we don't tolerate in this forum.

Everyone else: If you see a post that you find to be objectionable, hit the 'Report Post', and let the Moderators deal with it. I don't like the tone of some of the posts I've had to delete.

Shield.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement