Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security for students

Options
  • 08-10-2015 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭

Hello everyone! I'm not in WIT myself, but i have a Garda friend who asked me to post this for the students who are living in student accommodation here in Waterford.

We all know college life can be great craic, meeting new people from different counties with similar interests, going on the lash with them, etc. However, students are also easy targets for criminals. Especially when the drink is flowing, the carefree attitude can take over, and it can lead to small mistakes which could lead to costly problems.

There is no problem with having house parties (as long as they are legal, and don't interfere with other peoples privacy). I have witnessed large house parties, and they go off without any problems, usually. But the problem with large parties is that the people living in those houses can lose track of who's who. The local criminals are well aware of this, so there's a few points I would like to make with regards to security, so that you don't end up with items stolen from the house, from you personally, or from any damage which can be caused. I would ask those students living in student accommodation to follow a few simple guidelines in order to prevent any crime, along with some general pointers.

- Lock your doors: I'm sure there's quite a few students after moving to Waterford who are originally from the country, where leaving doors unlocked can be normal. Unfortunately this does not carry over to most cities. Leaving your door unlocked, even for a moment, can be an easy target for criminals. Keep your doors locked at all times.

- Know who's who: Parties are great, and can attract loads of people. Criminals know this, and try to pretend to be students in order to gain access to a house, and subsequently lift anything they can fit in their pockets. This includes phones, tablets, money, laptops and keys. By knowing who each person is, or knowing someone who can vouch for these people, is key to preventing this. If you don't know someone, ask them to leave. If they refuse, call the Gardaí.

- Keep valuables locked away: In your room, and keep that door locked at all times. Leaving stuff lying around is never a good idea, even someone you might know since coming to Waterford may have sticky fingers, and you'll never find out who it was!

- Report anything suspicious: Criminals know to target these areas/houses, so if you notice anything out of the ordinary, or anyone who just doesn't look right (criminals usually have a specific look - keep an eye out for socks tucked into shoes, etc), report it. While it may be nothing, your report could lead to the detection of a crime, and could save someone a lot of hassle and money. And don't wait to think about it, the longer you leave it, there is a less chance of a crime being detected.

- Don't leave anything visible in your cars/through the windows. Again, if you don't "invite" the crime, there is a less chance of a crime being committed. Some criminals could be so desperate, they would break into your car for the bit of change you have lying around in the car. Lock everything away in your car into either the boot or glove box (and lock the glove box if you can). This not only helps to prevent a crime, but most insurance companies won't pay out if the item of value was on display (some even specify that the glove box has to be locked).

- Don't walk anywhere alone: Always walk with at least one other person if you can. People by themselves can be targets, and there's safety in numbers. Especially if you have to walk through dark areas, late at night, or after a few sociables.

These are just a few points, and while some criminals will try to commit a crime regardless, making it harder from them should ensure that you won't be their target. They won't break into a house if the one beside it is wide open. They won't break into a car if you have nothing on display, and the one beside you has a laptop/bag on the back seat.

This is not an attempt to stop ye having any fun, you're students, it's part and parcel of the student life (along with serious study i hope!). It's an attempt to educate those of you who have never been victims of a crime to be more cautious about the dangers of criminals. As Tesco would say, every little helps, and the less chances you give criminals, the less the chance of you becoming one of their victims. Not only is there a monetary cost, there is also a psychological cost if you are the victim. Follow these simple guidelines, and you should have a crime free time while here.

And i'm also not saying that Waterford is a crime hotspot, every city has it's crime. This is just preventative measues. Oh, and remember, there is a €100 fine for drinking in public! :D

The number for Waterford Garda Station is 051-305300. If there is an emergency (immediate threat to life or property), ring 999 and look for Waterford Gardaí.

Enjoy your time here, and be safe!

Advertisement