Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaning HTML & CSS basics. How to upload to internet

Options
  • 08-10-2015 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hello.

I might be asking very stupid questions, however....

I have been learning HTML and CSS for some time now on Codecademy. Their 'create a site from scratch' tool is very good and I love playing with it.

My question is, how do I 'on my own computer without Codecademy' write HTML and CSS and then upload this to my local host or website. (I know what a local host is through my WordPress). I struggle to find info online as I don't really know what to 'search for'.

Thank you and please help or point me in the right direction!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

To write HTML and CSS on your own computer all you need is a text editor like Windows Notepad. However an editor like Notepad++ or Sublime Text will give you highlighted text/syntax making it easier.

"localhost" refers to your own computer and to use your own computer you will need to install at least a web server. Lots of people use XAMPP and you can see how to install it on a Windows PC here. This will give you a web server as well as mysql database and php, which you will probably use later if you continue with web coding.

To put a page or pages on the Internet you need a domain and a hosting service. This will cost money and will need to be paid on a yearly basis.

So start off with XAMPP and check out Youtube for videos on using this software. Then once installed, create a folder inside the XMAPP\htdocs directory and put your html files in this directory. Then to see the results of your coding you simply type "http://localhost/<folder name>

hope this helps

Advertisement