Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Berlin

• 08-10-2015 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Heading to Berlin in December for 3 days so will be taking in the Christmas markets. Any recommendations for a nice hotel / area to stay in. Also, apart from the markets what would you recommend we try to squeeze into tour weekend stay?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭manshay

We stayed in Hotel Q just off the Ku'damm. Near Savignyplatz S bahn station.
    We stayed for 2 nights in September.
    Nice safe area, with bars and restaurants on tap.

Berlin is a fantastic city and cheap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭ollaetta

We stayed in the Park Inn on Alexanderplatz in the Mitte area of old East Berlin. Right beside a train/underground station and walking distance from Unter den Linden and the Brandenburg Gate.

We found the old East to be more interesting than the West which we thought was a bit Main Street Anywhere. Having said that the funky modern architecture of Potsdamer Platz (not far from Brandenberg Gate) is really a sight.

Something to avoid is the Reichstag building. Looks great from the outside but it's only a shell. The entire inside was rebuilt after the war and it's not worth the often long queues to get inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Stayed in the park and the Radisson alexanderplatz. Park would be a bit cheaper I reckon but still very good. Go up to the roof and watch people jump off with a beer, if its not too cold in December. Go the radisson and see the fish tank anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Berlin is great and so affordable for a major capital.
    I stayed in the Scandic Ku'damm in the west of the city and found it such a lovely safe area but right next to a main line station on the metro too. The hotel was fab, reasonably priced and I had a complimentary mini-bar in my room.
    The great thing about Berlin is that the transport system is first class so you are always just a few stops away from where you need to go.
    I'd also recommend visiting the Story Of Berlin museum if only to get the tour of a Cold War bunker which was really interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭manshay

ollaetta wrote: »
    Something to avoid is the Reichstag building. Looks great from the outside but it's only a shell. The entire inside was rebuilt after the war and it's not worth the often long queues to get inside.

I couldn't agree about the Reichstag, even though we queued for 1 hour for tickets! Book online far in advance. It's free and includes an excellent free audio guide. The views over the city are fantastic.
    It's a tour of the dome on the top not of the parliament itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭ollaetta

manshay wrote: »
    I couldn't agree about the Reichstag, even though we queued for 1 hour for tickets! Book online far in advance. It's free and includes an excellent free audio guide. The views over the city are fantastic.
    It's a tour of the dome on the top not of the parliament itself.

I suppose we were spoilt staying in the Park Inn. It's way taller than the Reichstag (125m v 47m) so the views from the dome were underwhelming after such a long queue. Still, to each his own I guess.

Well if we're talking about views then obviously nothing beats the TV Tower next to the Park Inn. You get a super 360 view of the city from up there and isn't a complete rip off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

maximo31 wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Heading to Berlin in December for 3 days so will be taking in the Christmas markets. Any recommendations for a nice hotel / area to stay in. Also, apart from the markets what would you recommend we try to squeeze into tour weekend stay?
    Thanks in advance.

Savigny Platz, and Charlottenberg/Wilmersdorf are all nice locations.

DDR museum is well worth visiting in central Berlin.

If the weather is nice, take a balloon trip on the Die Welt balloon (close to Wilhelmstrasse).
    A day trip to Potsdam (on 40 minutes by train from Berlin Haufpbanhof) is well worth it as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

I would highly recommend staying in the easy hotel. Its no frills but if you are on a budget its perfect. I stayed there the last time was in Berlin I think it cost 150 for 5 nights. Its in the old East Berlin and spitting distance from the Alexanderplatz train station, and very close to the main museums,U bahn, and S bahn. I would suggest doing the Free walking tours Berlin http://originalberlintours.com/tours/free-original-berlin-walking-tour/ well worth it to get a good idea of the city. If you want to do something a bit different I would seriously consider spending an evening here http://www.unsicht-bar-berlin.de/en/html/home_1.html surreal to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭smalltalk

Hi,went to Berlin last December to see the Christmas markets,we stayed in the Adina Apartment Hotel Berlin Hackescher Markt in the Mitte district.Great hotel in a very good area for Christmas markets Alexanderplatz market,Gendarmenmarkt,the funfair near Alexanderplatz station are all within easy walking distance.Hackescher Markt/Alexanderplatz area has loads of restaurants and bars and shopping and I really liked the Nikolaiviertel at night.The museum island is also close by and a walk up unter den Linden will bring you to the Brandenburg gate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The 100 and 200 buses pass most of the touristy spots and are cheaper than hop on hop off buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭maximo31

So we ended up booking this place as we think it will be close to the Christmas markets and seems clean and spacious.:
    http://www.clipper-hotels.de/clipper_city_home_berlin.aspx?lang=en

Do ye reckon its a decent area to stay in?
    Any nice restaurants / bars in that area?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Great location. Loads of reaturants and bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 neiljw24

maximo31 wrote: »
    So we ended up booking this place as we think it will be close to the Christmas markets and seems clean and spacious.:

Do ye reckon its a decent area to stay in?
    Any nice restaurants / bars in that area?

Hi,

Just wondering what your hotel was like and would you recommend it. I am also looking for a hotel for a few nights in late November for the Christmas markets.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭maximo31

neiljw24 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering what your hotel was like and would you recommend it. I am also looking for a hotel for a few nights in late November for the Christmas markets.

Thanks

It was actually an apartment but was really really nice. I would totally recommend it. It was very close to the underground and close to a number of Christmas markets. It was also really near the high street shopping area.
    Thumbs up from me anyway.

Anyone any recommendations on nightlife? Not pumping euro discos, just good late night bars, maybe live music/ DJ?
    Going in 3 weeks.
    No accommodation yet either! Is mitte the best area to stay for 3 days, tourist touring & going out?

No one any suggestions for decent pub/ music in Berlin?
    I'm going in two weeks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭VG31

Try the Tripadvisor Berlin forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭gerogerigegege

Hi lads.
    Best travel card for Berlin transport?
    Travelling Dublin to Schonefeld for 3 data this month.
    Any help would be great

If it's your first trip, then personally I'd opt for the Berlin Welcome card which is around €30 for three days. It includes your train to/from from Schönefeld airport and has some nice discounts and a handy map.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭gerogerigegege

Mr rebel wrote: »
    If it's your first trip, then personally I'd opt for the Berlin Welcome card which is around €30 for three days. It includes your train to/from from Schönefeld airport and has some nice discounts and a handy map.
    thanks Mr Rebel..much appreciated;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭The Bogman

Hi, just looking for any advice or tips. Heading to Berlin next week for 3 days. Flying into and home from TXL (Tegel?) airport and staying in Park inn by Radisson in alexanderplatz. Any advice on getting to and from the airport? Is the welcome card the best option?
    Also with regards to the touristy things, what are the must sees? Or any places to not bother with? I've read conflicting reports on the tv tower which is right beside us and Reichstag? I'd like to have tickets etc booked before going if possible.
    From what I've read, bars and restaurants seem to be pretty good all round...any must try German cuisine?
    Any and all help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

The Bogman wrote: »
    Hi, just looking for any advice or tips. Heading to Berlin next week for 3 days. Flying into and home from TXL (Tegel?) airport and staying in Park inn by Radisson in alexanderplatz. Any advice on getting to and from the airport? Is the welcome card the best option?
    Also with regards to the touristy things, what are the must sees? Or any places to not bother with? I've read conflicting reports on the tv tower which is right beside us and Reichstag? I'd like to have tickets etc booked before going if possible.
    From what I've read, bars and restaurants seem to be pretty good all round...any must try German cuisine?
    Any and all help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance

We found the Welcome Card to be good value. Public transport is excellent.

128 bus & U8 Ubahn will get you to Alexanderplatz in 40-45 minutes.

We found the TV tower well worth it. You can book a time slot on the day and go back rather than queue. Reichstag building is great but only if there isn't an hour or more long queue. If you can prebook then I'd definitely go see it.

We went on the Sandemans free walking tour which leaves from Pariser Platz, behind the Brandenburg Gate. Great guide & completely no charge unless you feel like tipping at the end.

Sandemans also do a pub crawl which was fun and wasn't expensive. Free beer to start and then free shot with each pint you buy after that.

Holocaust Memorial and Jewish Museum are well worth visiting.

Sony Centre at Potsdamer Platz might be worth a look.

Currywurst is a must try food in Berlin.

Museum Island is a must, especially the Neues museum to see the iconic bust of Nefertiti.
    The Story of Berlin museum is also pretty cool, especially the guided tour of a Cold War bunker underneath the museum.
    Berlin is a fabulous city for all seasons...enjoy!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭xraylady

I'm taking my teen daughter for 4 days over Easter. Staying in Radisson Blu. We arrive into the airport (Schonefeld) at about 11.30 pm so I am concerned about getting to the hotel. Does anyone know if the train runs frequently at that time of night? I guess a taxi might be best but I imagine it would be very expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

xraylady wrote: »
    I'm taking my teen daughter for 4 days over Easter. Staying in Radisson Blu. We arrive into the airport (Schonefeld) at about 11.30 pm so I am concerned about getting to the hotel. Does anyone know if the train runs frequently at that time of night? I guess a taxi might be best but I imagine it would be very expensive.

You need to get to Alexanderplatz

The fast regional trains don't run after 11pm so options

1. Taxi, very expensive in Germany could be 40-50 euro

2. S-bahn (5 minute walk to the station) S9 direct (but check if a change at Ostkruez is needed, if the trains stops there you need to change) Every 20 minutes until 0048

3. Bus to Rudnow (from the front of airport) and U bahn change at Hermanplatz to U8 towards Wittenau

4. If its after midnight the bus options change and there are lots of them

Note SXF is zone C so ticket ABC is required

So if you can make the S9 great, if you arrive into T1 at Schonefeld there is a ticket machine in the arrivals hall, use the machine on the right side it tends to be happier with credit cards than the other. There are ticket machines at the station also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

xraylady wrote: »

Berlin transit authority, VBB:

https://www.vbb.de/en/index.html

To and from SXF:

https://www.vbb.de/en/article/timetables/airport-sxf/to-from-airport-sxf/7562.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I tried Thur 29-Mar, late at night, SXF to Alexanderplatz:

S9 at 23:48, 12:08, 12:28

Advertisement