Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working at Debenhams??

Options
  • 08-10-2015 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I had a phone interview with debenhams last week and i have another interview tomorrow in store. I dont know will i go or not. Does anybody have anything they could tell me about debenhams? Rate of pay? weekly or monthly pay? What type of work do you do in there? Whats the management like?

If anyone can help out please do !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Bemma wrote: »
    I had a phone interview with debenhams last week and i have another interview tomorrow in store. I dont know will i go or not. Does anybody have anything they could tell me about debenhams? Rate of pay? weekly or monthly pay? What type of work do you do in there? Whats the management like?

If anyone can help out please do !

Why on earth, in this day and age, would you apply for a job, sit an interview and then consider not bothering with progressing to another interview! Surely the rate of pay was advertised along with the position?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭Corvo

Christ, and to think other people would have went over broken glass for that job

• Registered Users Posts: 25,810 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I worked in Debenhams for a while at the height of the recession - a 12 hour/week contract only, but it was far from the worst job I had. Like most entry-level retail they ask for you to be full-flexible, ie they only guarantee you X hours per week, but expect to be able to roster you at any day/time. I only left because someone else offered me a couple of months full-time.

In fairness, they didn't actually tell me the pay rate at any time before my first pay-slip. But it was a little above minimum wage, which was a nice surprise. At that time, pay was monthly. Shifts were always at least 4 hours long. They operate here in the same way they do in the UK, which means that non-discrimination policies actually get enforced and the workforce better reflects the current population than some companies do.

This was in 2010, though, things may have changed since.

OP - why would you not go? Have you already got a better job?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Bemma

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Why on earth, in this day and age, would you apply for a job, sit an interview and then consider not bothering with progressing to another interview! Surely the rate of pay was advertised along with the position?

Clearly i have a good reason why would i just bother not going. If u dont have something helpful or good to say dont comment !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

Bemma wrote: »
    Clearly i have a good reason why would i just bother not going. If u dont have something helpful or good to say dont comment !!!!

Give a little more background information then or people will naturally assume what ShaShaBea did.

• Advertisement

I worked in Debenhams for a while at the height of the recession - a 12 hour/week contract only, but it was far from the worst job I had. Like most entry-level retail they ask for you to be full-flexible, ie they only guarantee you X hours per week, but expect to be able to roster you at any day/time. I only left because someone else offered me a couple of months full-time.

In fairness, they didn't actually tell me the pay rate at any time before my first pay-slip. But it was a little above minimum wage, which was a nice surprise. At that time, pay was monthly. Shifts were always at least 4 hours long. They operate here in the same way they do in the UK, which means that non-discrimination policies actually get enforced and the workforce better reflects the current population than some companies do.

This was in 2010, though, things may have changed since.

OP - why would you not go? Have you already got a better job?

Thanks very very much for your helpful reply!
    I had an operation last wednesday and it was the monday before that she rang me -so i told her all going well i would be at the interview but if not i would let her know. She said it was better to be down for the interview then to not put me down and now im unwell after the surgery so was unsure whether to go or not because if i go and i get the job and say the starting day was monday and i was still sick i wouldnt be able to start? So i'm in a pickle as obviously dont know when im going to be fully recovered from op.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

ShaShaBear wrote: »

It's fast becoming the norm to have no mention of pay until your first payday in lower paid and retail areas, if you ask you are seen to be trouble

scdublin wrote: »
    Give a little more background information then or people will naturally assume what ShaShaBea did.

Yes i will know better next time, people always assume the worst !

rex-x wrote: »
    It's fast becoming the norm to have no mention of pay until your first payday in lower paid and retail areas, if you ask you are seen to be trouble

Really? I was unaware of that . Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭2forjoy

pay is monthly in arrears

• Advertisement
Advertisement