Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone else get a scam phonecall last night?

• 08-10-2015 11:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭

Around 1am last night I got two very short (approx 4 seconds) phone calls from a +86 number. Ive a feeling it is a scam along the lines of http://www.irishtimes.com/news/thousands-hit-by-mobile-scam-1.1072153

I deleted the number last night but I think it was +86 153 then about 6/8 other digits. Did anyone else get a phone call like that?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

However they were then connected to a premium rate service based in Slovenia and while some had their calls cut off as soon as a connection was made, others were diverted to telephone sex lines.

Nope.
    Do you have the number handy there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

A five second google would tell you that 86 is the national code for China.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Pink Lemons

It was me, I was ringing up to ask if your fridge was running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Metroboulot

That's a Chinese mobile number.

Maybe someone ringing the wrong number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

That's a Chinese mobile number.

Maybe someone ringing the wong number?

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 367 ✭✭justchecked

whiskeyman wrote: »
    :pac:

thats not a very rice thing to say.

When you're all able to speak fluent Mandarin Chinese with no accent, those jokes are acceptable!

In the meantime work on your" Th"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,473 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

When you're all able to speak fluent Mandarin Chinese with no accent, those jokes are acceptable!

That's a nasty jibe.Work in your own "Th".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Dat's thiscrimanation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 367 ✭✭justchecked

Kev W wrote: »
    Dat's thiscrimanation.

Mr Eubanks, what brinkts you here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,371 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Now that you mention it, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Wow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,473 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

TallGlass wrote: »
    Wow

The same backwards as forwards,without losing any of its meaning.

kneemos wrote: »
    That's a nasty jibe.Work in your own "Th".

No nastier than what went on further up the thread.

Worthy of Crusty the Clown doing 1950s stand up.

Many people can dole out the racism but can't take it when anyone says anything slightly mocking of their own accent or culture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

Got one Saturday from that type of number! Was foreign lady telling me my computer had a file in it that was a virus!!! And that people would steal my credit card details! I played along for few mins then hung up! She rang back 3 times after but I just hung up! Does really look like a 086 number when you glance quickly at caller id!

That "we're calling from Microsoft / Windows" scam is running for years.

Unfortunately caller ID relies on the system sending the information to be trustworthy. If someone sends fake caller ID info from a rogue VoIP softswitch (exchange) there's no way that other networks can distinguish it from real info.

They often use random fake international or even Irish numbers to make their calls seem legit so people pick up.

The op sounds like they just had someone in china accidentally call their number, realise they've misdialled and hang up.

Calling a +86 - 1XX number will just charge you for a call to China. There's no premium rate ripoff possible. It's just a normal Chinese mobile. Given that there are close on a billion Chinese mobiles in use, one of them is bound to misdial now and then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hello siiiiirrrrr all I need is your bank account details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dawningx

I think that they are operating these scams worldwide. I can find reports about them at sites like whycall.me everyday about these scams. With so many warnings out there, it's strange if the are people that fall for these scams these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭skibum

I personally know people who have fallen for these scam call's, they range from professional's (one was a teacher) to old age pensioners, these pr1cks keep fishing until they get a bite, unfortunately there will always be people who take the bait to feed these b@stards...
    I love it when they ring me, I act the complete gobsh1te, and string them along enough that they eventually hang up on me... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Jimllfixit

That "we're calling from Microsoft / Windows" scam is running for years.

Unfortunately caller ID relies on the system sending the information to be trustworthy. If someone sends fake caller ID info from a rogue VoIP softswitch (exchange) there's no way that other networks can distinguish it from real info.

They often use random fake international or even Irish numbers to make their calls seem legit so people pick up.

The op sounds like they just had someone in china accidentally call their number, realise they've misdialled and hang up.

Calling a +86 - 1XX number will just charge you for a call to China. There's no premium rate ripoff possible. It's just a normal Chinese mobile. Given that there are close on a billion Chinese mobiles in use, one of them is bound to misdial now and then...

I hope they can't mess with my land-line bill. I just spent 10 minutes on the phone, first trying to understand the poor English, and then realising they couldn't be Microsoft, pretending I was hooked to see where it would lead to.

Am I going to get charged for a call from China? Heck, I hope not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,933 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I got a scam email a while ago and I still cannot quite figure how they did it. Someone emailed me saying they were a friend (John) from (Brighton) that they were on holiday and had lost their money etc.

What was strange was that we do have a friend John from Brighton, and the email address was correct. The email was quite convincing. The chances of this particular person contacting us in this situation was almost zero though, and it had too much of the feel of a scam about it. All we could do was ignore it, we did not have a phone number and if his email address had been hijacked there was no point contacting through that. Is it possible to take over someone's email like that though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

kneemos wrote: »
    The same backwards as forwards,without losing any of its meaning.

bed - actually looks like a bed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

looksee wrote: »
    I got a scam email a while ago and I still cannot quite figure how they did it. Someone emailed me saying they were a friend (John) from (Brighton) that they were on holiday and had lost their money etc.

What was strange was that we do have a friend John from Brighton, and the email address was correct. The email was quite convincing. The chances of this particular person contacting us in this situation was almost zero though, and it had too much of the feel of a scam about it. All we could do was ignore it, we did not have a phone number and if his email address had been hijacked there was no point contacting through that. Is it possible to take over someone's email like that though?

I think that's standard email hacking.

I got a fb message from my "friend" with the exact same type of message.

You should ask them something only they could answer (a bit like arnie asking "how's wolfie" in terminator 2 :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

A 'heads up' for those men who may be regular Tesco Naas customers. This one caught me by surprise.

I became a victim of a clever scam while out shopping. Simply going out to get the weeks groceries turned out to be quite traumatic. Don't be naive enough to think it couldn't happen to you or your friends. Here's how the scam works:

Two seriously good-looking 20-21 year-old girls (I thing they're Brazilian) come over to your car as you are packing your shopping into the boot. They both start wiping your windscreen with a rag and windolene, with their big boobs almost falling out of their skimpy tops.

It is impossible not to look.

When you thank them and offer them a tip, they say 'no' and instead ask you for a lift to McDonalds.

You agree and they get into the back seat. On the way, they start undressing. Then one of them climbs over into the front seat and starts crawling all over you, while the other one steals your wallet.

I had my wallet stolen August 4th, 9th, 10th, twice on the 15th, 17th, 20th, 24th & 29th. Also September 1st & 4th, twice on the 8th, 16th, 23rd, 26th, three times last Monday and very likely again this upcoming weekend.

So tell your friends to be careful.

P.S. Aldi (facing Tesco Naas) has wallets on sale for 2.99 each. I found cheaper ones for €1.99 in Dealz and bought them out. Also, you never will get to eat at McDonalds. I've already lost 11 pounds just running back and forth to Dealz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

If someone rings me and I don't know them I just ignore it or hang up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 436 ✭✭Old Jakey

No nastier than what went on further up the thread.

Worthy of Crusty the Clown doing 1950s stand up.

Many people can dole out the racism but can't take it when anyone says anything slightly mocking of their own accent or culture.

It was a shamfur dispray and those posters should commit sudoku.

Advertisement