Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I go about learning

Options
  • 07-10-2015 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi, I'm sure this has been asked but I can't really find what I'm looking for.

Played guitar for years. Only lately I've been getting obsessed with trad. Thinking of getting a flute and playing a bit later. I'd like to play banjo or guitar in a few sessions and things and get into it a bit more first but I don't know anyone and wouldn't be capable of joining sessions or anything. Learning a few tunes at the moment. How do I go about playing with others? Is there any practice groups. Probably wouldn't need too many lessons I'd say. Or should I just put an ad up somewhere.

I'm living in Dublin now btw.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

There are lots of Comhaltas branches in Dublin that offer lessons. Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

username5 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm sure this has been asked but I can't really find what I'm looking for.

Played guitar for years. Only lately I've been getting obsessed with trad. Thinking of getting a flute and playing a bit later. I'd like to play banjo or guitar in a few sessions and things and get into it a bit more first but I don't know anyone and wouldn't be capable of joining sessions or anything. Learning a few tunes at the moment. How do I go about playing with others? Is there any practice groups. Probably wouldn't need too many lessons I'd say. Or should I just put an ad up somewhere.

I'm living in Dublin now btw.

Join a class. Where in Dublin are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 username5

Thanks. Im in Rathmines. Any idea whats near. No transport unfortunately, apart from buses/luas. Are guitars a bit too common in trad. It's all I have for the moment. Might just get a banjo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 username5

Ok found this. comhaltas .ie/locations/detail/cionntsaile/
    Anyone have experience with this? I'm 26 btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

username5 wrote: »
    Ok found this. comhaltas .ie/locations/detail/cionntsaile/
    Anyone have experience with this? I'm 26 btw.

That's a bit of a hike from rathmines! Craobh Chuallain in Monkstown would be handier. Or Craobh naithi, knocklyon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

Convenient to Rathmines is Waltons School of Music. It's on the bus route into town - http://www.newschool.ie

There are probably a few sessions in Rathmines, you might bump into someone willing to teach banjo/guitar. Mother Reilly's on Monday nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

If you're thinking about giving the flute a go, I'd recommend getting hold of a tin whistle first, getting a few lessons and learning a few tunes on it and see how you get on.

I'm advising this for three main reasons:

1. If you haven't played a flute before you might be surprised at how hard it is to get any sound out of it at all at first. The mouthpiece of the whistle takes care of making the sound for you so it's one less hurdle at the beginning.

2. A decent playable flute will cost a fair few quid. A decent keyless wooden flute will generally start at €600-€700 and go upwards from there. A delrin / polymer flute will cost a bit less, but you can pick up a playable whistle for FAR less. Any of the Tony Dixon whistles should be fine for a beginner.

3. The fingering used on the whistle is pretty much identical to that used on the flute, so any tunes you learn on whistle will transfer easily to the flute once you manage to start getting a sound out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭tarbolton

Ceoltóirí Chluain Tarbh who are based in Marino Mart give classes. They also run a slow session for adults who want a gentle introduction to session playing.

Advertisement