Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nest in shed

Options
  • 07-10-2015 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Just clearing out the shed and found a nest... long abandoned I assume. It has 5 tiny little beige coloured eggs no more than 15mm in length.

It was just on top of a little box on a shelf about 1.5 m off the ground. The shed is quite dark with no light other than 2 small windows so I'd never noticed it before. The door is usually closed but the window always left slightly open. I've never noticed bird in and out and was really surprised to find the nest there.

Looking at the eggs I think Bluetit is most likely but didnt think they would nest inside like that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Most likely occupant would have been a Robin and you are correct a Blue Tit will not usually nest inside..

• Registered Users Posts: 21 fishoutofwater

that makes more sense!

Google was trying to confuse me by telling me Robins eggs were blue but now I see that's American Robins.

Such a pity the nest was abandoned. It wouldnt have been a good place for fledglings but I'd have left the door open had I noticed.

On a positive note it prompted me to check a nest box I set up a couple of years ago, it's now well covered by shrubbery and it looks like it was used this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Robins are very resilient nesters, a likely reason for deserting may have been caused by one of the pair, particularly the female , being caught by a cat or Sparrowhawk..
    They had obviously been able to access the shed through the window to build the nest and lay the eggs and would have been able to rear a brood quite happily using the window entry, the problem with leaving the door open for them it would have changed the whole 'atmosphere ' in the shed maybe leaving them feeling exposed etc.
    the best thing to do if finding a nest in your shed or garden etc is to ignore it and go about your day to day business as normal because after all that is what you were doing as the nest was being built and before it was discovered!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Falconstare

That would be awesome to taking photos then. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

That would be awesome to taking photos then. :)

It is illegal to photograph a nest without a permit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

It is illegal to photograph a nest without a permit.
    Is it? Who gives permits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

diomed wrote: »
    Is it? Who gives permits?

Most definitely. NPWS issue the licences.

Advertisement