Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipperary Clans Archive

Options
  • 07-10-2015 6:06pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Searching Find My Past I've come across an entry for Ignatius Moore of Newcastle, Co. Dublin in the Tipperary Clans Archive. It doesn't say what the source or event it relates to is but it may be his death which took place that year. I'm wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to establish what the entry relates to or who I might contact to find out more?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

you can contact FMP by email : support@findmypast.ie , alternatively, talk to Brian, Fiona or their staff this weekend at Back to our Past in the RDS.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Rox_88

I searched the Newspaper Archives but didn't get anything. It says the University of Limerick has been working with Eneclann and FMP to get the records archived and digitised. I reckon getting on to the UL history department would be your best bet.
    From the image on FMP it looks like whoever was transcribing that page accidentally wrote the source date twice instead of source and date so maybe they could find out what that person was working on.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Here's the FMP explanation of where the archive came from.
    http://www.findmypast.com/articles/world-records/full-list-of-the-irish-family-history-records/life-events-birth-marriage-death/tipperary-clans-archive
    Information from newspapers and headstones was transcribed by students on a 'Summer jobs scheme' in the 1990s.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I read the explanation but I'm still none the wiser as to what the mention of Ignatius refers to.

I've sent off a few emails so we'll see what happens.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hi - yes - the transcriber messed up and didn't give the newspaper source. It might be hard at this stage to find out what the source was if records weren't kept.

I checked the Abigail Gibbings reference on the same page and FMP has a link to another Tipperary Clans death notice for her transcribed from the Cork Constitution. Your Ignatius was not in the Cork Constitution list.

I've found a death notice for him in the Pilot

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Great detective work, KildareFan! doffs deerstalker

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Great detective work, KildareFan! doffs deerstalker

I second that. Great work indeed!

And that death notice explains why there was no other information in the Clan Archive - the death notice itself was short on detail unfortunately.

Also, after several emails and phone calls earlier today, I did eventually get in contact with Mike O'Meara of Dalton's Heritage and Visitor Centre in Tipperary who is familiar with the Clan Archive.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I've regularly come across the Tipp Clan archive (on freebie trial subscriptions) and in my opinion it has long been surpassed by the online newspaper archives. The last result I recall was a record of a death in the Cork Constitution, Tipp Clan had it simply as a death, but the paper had a full obit.

Just checking Hermy - there are a couple of references to Ignatius in the 1837 newspapers, following his death, including requests for creditors and a court case later in the year seeking £20 which it was said he owed someone for cattle. The report made some comments about his circumstances.

I have a scan of the Freeman's Journal re Jameson vs Glynne and the Evening Post creditors meeting from June of 1838.
    But I'm surprised not to have found a death notice for him in one of the main papers given he was a prominent landholder in Newcastle at the time.
    That's why I was interested in the Clan Archive despite it's limited remit.

Out of interest, where did you search The Pilot archive?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
Advertisement