Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Note 4 off Adverts

Options
  • 07-10-2015 4:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭

Anyone any experience buying phones off adverts.

Is good feedback enough or should you look for a receipt as proof of ownership.

Anything to look out for with the Note 4 in particular?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭long_b

Anyone any experience buying phones off adverts.

Is good feedback enough or should you look for a receipt as proof of ownership.

Anything to look out for with the Note 4 in particular?

Thanks

For me lots of good feedback is a must. Also if you can get one that was bought on PAYG all the better as the handset is not going to get blacklisted if someone doesn't pay their bill.

Nothing to protect you against insurance fraud though AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

If on lollipop make sure they don't have device protected by Android device manager. Seen it mentioned somewhere else before that buyer required the gmail username and password after they got home from buying a phone second hand. Boot into recovery and factory wipe and reboot the device to make sure that won't be an issue.

Bring a couple of sim cards from different networks to check the phone is unlocked if that's what they are claiming.
    Note 4 has removable battery so check its genuine and that it's the original fast charger included as I think they can be dear to buy on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I tend to search for the name of the seller on boards too if they haven't got a linked account. Sometimes you'll find the seller and you can get a sense of what they're like and the history of the phone too if they have posts in this forum.
    I'd ask for a receipt always if I was you. Even if the phone is perfect now you want to know you're covered for the full warranty period which is 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

I wouldn't buy anything using adverts after being scammed by the owner of an 'online shop' a number of months ago. Emailing adverts customer support resulted in not even the courtesy of a reply. I did get a refund from paypal but they informed me that the seller still got the money & I was only being refunded as a gesture of goodwill considering I was a longstanding paypal customer.

It's unfortunate to have to tar everyone with the same brush but that's my experience & it's just not worth taking the chance with your money IMO & would never use adverts again or recommend anyone else to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Keith186 wrote: »
    If on lollipop make sure they don't have device protected by Android device manager. Seen it mentioned somewhere else before that buyer required the gmail username and password after they got home from buying a phone second hand. Boot into recovery and factory wipe and reboot the device to make sure that won't be an issue.

Bring a couple of sim cards from different networks to check the phone is unlocked if that's what they are claiming.
    Note 4 has removable battery so check its genuine and that it's the original fast charger included as I think they can be dear to buy on their own.

Cheers Keith,

Is this how I should factory reset it
    http://howto.highonandroid.com/samsung-tutorials/how-to-boot-into-recovery-mode-in-samsung-phonestablets/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Make sure the seller has good feedback and won't scam u.

Ahem cough cough. If only u knew someone that was selling one :)

iggy wrote: »
    Make sure the seller has good feedback and won't scam u.

Ahem cough cough. If only u knew someone that was selling one :)

I'm in Limerick though iggy :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

I'm in Limerick and am giving serious consideration to selling mine if you're interested. It's locked to emobile/meteor though, I have the receipt and box, accessories etc.

I'm in Limerick and am giving serious consideration to selling mine if you're interested. It's locked to emobile/meteor though, I have the receipt and box, accessories etc.

Hi Caovyn,

I'm on Vodafone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Speaking of dodgy phones - look at this nice "Note 5" I found on Aliexpress!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

Hi Caovyn,

I'm on Vodafone

I could enquire tomorrow about getting it unlocked if you're interested. Obviously, no pressure if you'd rather buy elsewhere.

Any danger buying an unwanted upgrade off someone.

An unopened Note 4 here
    http://www.adverts.ie/samsung/galaxy-note-4-unopened/9036816

Could the owner report it stolen after selling and make it unusable?

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Anyone?

If they are dishonest I suppose that could happen, if the phone is insured they could make an insurance claim on the value of it and the handset would then be blacklisted. Check sellers feedback and make a decision. Buying anything off anyone will always have a risk involved.

If they are dishonest I suppose that could happen, if the phone is insured they could make an insurance claim on the value of it and the handset would then be blacklisted. Check sellers feedback and make a decision. Buying anything off anyone will always have a risk involved.

Thanks Stereo, that makes sense.

Advertisement