Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegan Winter Coat

Options
  • 06-10-2015 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm facing my first winter as a vegan, and have decided I would like to buy a new coat for the winter. Were I not vegan, I would quite easily spend €150-€300 on a good wool/wool-blend peacoat.

How times have changed. I see many that I would like, but they are all wool.

Can anyone point me in the direction of good, warm, waterproof vegan coats, or styles? I believe moleskin is quite warm, but very few seem to produce coats using this fabric. There is a cool store in Manhattan which produces cool peacoats, but it's a) in Manhattan and b) in Manhattan, so on top of its pricey price, I'd be hit with customs charges, and then it's not terribly sustainable to have one's clothing shipped from the US, is it? Nothing dies as a result, but the carbon footprint is a bit of a buzzkill.

So, what is one to do? Do I have to submit to a life of polyamides and 'active outerwear'?

All advice gratefully appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Often things produced locally can have more of a negative impact on the environment than things shipped here, depending on a lot of factors. Plus that is how most things in the shops get here anyway. Only one I know of is quite expensive, is this who you were talking about? http://vautecouture.com/collections/sale

I was looking at the sale but it seems to be less and less % off as time goes on and as you say, customs is hit and miss, although does it apply to clothing?

I'll keep an eye out for you.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

If you do some research about vegan/fairtrade/environmentally-friendly brands on the internet, you could then head to your local TK Maxx and see if they have any in store. It's a long shot, but it might work out cheaper than try to get something shipped out from Manhattan...

Also, have you considered a fake fur coat? I got a brilliant one in Carraig Donn a few years back, it's very warm and snuggly and soft, and it's one of the best purchases I ever made, I'm a very cold animal. :)

I just had a look at their website, they also have suedette jackets and coats and the prices seem to be very good. They probably have a bigger selection in their shops, too.

Hope this helps. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

Not meaning to de-rail the thread but what's wrong with wool?
    Sheep aren't exactly hurt in the process of shearing.

Genuine question - not looking to start an argument!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I think it may have to do with how the sheep are raised, and what happens to the male lambs, similar to what happens with cows and their calves and cows' milk. But I stand to be corrected.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

gouche wrote: »
    Not meaning to de-rail the thread but what's wrong with wool?
    Sheep aren't exactly hurt in the process of shearing.

Genuine question - not looking to start an argument!

Here is some information on it:
    http://www.thediscerningbrute.com/tag/wool/

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, Tar - it's awful, I didn't realise. It goes to show that too many people won't let something like someone else's suffering stop them from trying to make a profit, even if it's at someone else's expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭human 19

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭human 19

Advertisement