Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coachbuilt or Conversion?

Options
  • 06-10-2015 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi all, apologies if this has been covered before. I am a total newbie to the world of campervans. We are strongly thinking of buying a campervan in the very near future. We will use it mainly in France for holidays.....also weekends here and there and the odd trip to the UK maybe when the kids on mid term.

We also want something that we could sleep in for a month or so when we are doing our house extension.

I saw one online and rang dealer and he said that coachbuilt was better than a conversion. Then I googled and found lots of people saying that conversions are stronger built. I'm confused. What is the difference in quality? If any?

Is there anything I should be staying away from?

Sorry for my very general questions. :o

TIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

PigeonPie wrote: »
    Hi all, apologies if this has been covered before. I am a total newbie to the world of campervans. We are strongly thinking of buying a campervan in the very near future. We will use it mainly in France for holidays.....also weekends here and there and the odd trip to the UK maybe when the kids on mid term.

We also want something that we could sleep in for a month or so when we are doing our house extension.

I saw one online and rang dealer and he said that coachbuilt was better than a conversion. Then I googled and found lots of people saying that conversions are stronger built. I'm confused. What is the difference in quality? If any?

Is there anything I should be staying away from?

Sorry for my very general questions. :o

TIA

Coach built will be the best use of space typically as they will usually be wider taller and the sides don't taper in. A really good conversion will be surprisingly expensive. Lots of the DIY ones are absolute dogs. Coach built one are made out of many flimsy materials. Might last a lifetime if your careful and keep an eye on seals and seams and cover or dry store but a leaking window or seal can do very expensive damage. Also with coach built youll have custom trims bumper taillights and often the back running gear so a simole corner bumper moulding can be expensive and break eadily. There's typically lots of plastic catches and things like hollow table and counter tops in a coach built that can be easily broken.There is a massive difference in quality between the manufacturers too some are almost guaranteed to leak and fall apart.

PigeonPie wrote: »
    ... he said that coachbuilt was better than a conversion.

Of course he did. :rolleyes:

Horses for courses. A conversion is as good as you make it. Coach builds don't make expedition vehicles, they're not stealth and their stock electrics are rather feeble and less than effective.
    I did a conversion because I couldn't find anything the way I wanted it. I'd do another before buying a coachbuild too.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭PigeonPie

Thanks guys, lots to think about so. Don't think I'll be rushing into this. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

There are two types of coach build in my book, one where they take a bare chassis and build the body around it, these are typically bigger like the ones with the overcabe bed.. and then there are ones where they take new van or minibus and build a camper van in side it, these tend to be be smaller. A coach built panel van well looked after should be bullet prof. With a coach built motor home you need to be aware that the body will flex and move and can give trouble but there are a lot of 20 year old motor homes that are in great condition too.

Then there are two types of conversions both take a ex commercial van or minibus and build a camper in it. The first it's done by a pro the second it's done by you or I with to different standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭PigeonPie

Thanks Spacehopper, I guess our search for a camper will be harder than I thought!

• Advertisement
Advertisement