Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying apartment in Sandyford

Options
  • 06-10-2015 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I am thinking of buying an apartment in Sandyford. Prices seem reasonable. 2 beds seem to be around the €250k mark and I have seen a 3 bed apartment for €290k!

I work near Sandyford at the moment and have been renting in Rathmines for last few years.

Wondering what people who live in Sandyford think of the area from the point of view of living there?

Anyone lived in the Aikens Village apartments? They seem near enough the Luas. What about Belarmine? Are these good places to live?

I'm keeping a close eye on the property price register and it seems prices are not rocketing in the area like some other places. So still seems a good time to buy now. Not sure if waiting will mean prices might drop again. Don't want to pay over the odds for an apartment if this time next year prices will be lower again!

Thanks for any feedback.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Mort5000

Send me a private message with your email address and I'll fill you in on my experiences in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Mort5000 wrote:
    Send me a private message with your email address and I'll fill you in on my experiences in the area.

Any chance you could post them here so other people could benefit?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I know that Clúid, a housing association, took ownership of a large amount of apartments in Sandyford. You might want to check what the story is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I live in an apartment in Beacon South Quarter and am not too familiar with the places you've mentioned so hope my experiences are relevant enough :) (I grew up 15 mins away so no excuse for not knowing them but still!) Hopefully my experiences are somewhat useful.

I find the area great. Full of professionals and mainly foreign families in my complex, all really nice folks. Area is nice and quiet during the day and pretty peaceful during evenings and nights. Access to Luas obviously is a huge benefit. Having a Dunnes, Aldi and Ben Dunne on the doorstep is great as well as Dundrum being so close. Lots of handy fooderies too.

Only negatives I can think of is that I'm a bit out of town if there's anything social going on there. I'm saying that purely against living more centrally where you're never more than 5/10 minutes away from something going on. Probably 40 minutes door to town.
    Other negative (which is subjective) is that the area can be pretty quiet at the weekend and if you love hustle and bustle you might get a bit bored.
    Also, the nearest pubs I'd venture to are the Leop Inn or Stillorgan which are a bit of a trek so if you fancy a pint, it's a bit of a walk (Beacon Hotel bar aside).

If you've any other questions, feel free to throw them my way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

With all that's happening with apartments these days and the failure of building controls I wouldn't be buying one.

• Advertisement

With all that's happening with apartments these days and the failure of building controls I wouldn't be buying one.

No problems with mine for the last 9 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I live in an apartment in Beacon South Quarter and am not too familiar with the places you've mentioned so hope my experiences are relevant enough :) (I grew up 15 mins away so no excuse for not knowing them but still!) Hopefully my experiences are somewhat useful.

I find the area great. Full of professionals and mainly foreign families in my complex, all really nice folks. Area is nice and quiet during the day and pretty peaceful during evenings and nights. Access to Luas obviously is a huge benefit. Having a Dunnes, Aldi and Ben Dunne on the doorstep is great as well as Dundrum being so close. Lots of handy fooderies too.

Only negatives I can think of is that I'm a bit out of town if there's anything social going on there. I'm saying that purely against living more centrally where you're never more than 5/10 minutes away from something going on. Probably 40 minutes door to town.
    Other negative (which is subjective) is that the area can be pretty quiet at the weekend and if you love hustle and bustle you might get a bit bored.
    Also, the nearest pubs I'd venture to are the Leop Inn or Stillorgan which are a bit of a trek so if you fancy a pint, it's a bit of a walk (Beacon Hotel bar aside).

If you've any other questions, feel free to throw them my way.

TBH that's of no help to the OP. Aikens VIllage is quite a distance from Sandyford Industrial estate. Aikens is up between Lambs cross and Stepaside village.

ted1 wrote: »
    TBH that's of no help to the OP. Aikens VIllage is quite a distance from Sandyford Industrial estate. Aikens is up between Lambs cross and Stepaside village.

Fair enough :) Wasn't familiar with it

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Fsfop

Thanks for all the feedback.

The fire problems in Priory Hall and those other apartments in town are not going to put me off-you can't just tar every single apartment in Ireland with the same brush!

I know the area where Aikens Village and Belarmine is - I like the proximity to the Luas. Big help for getting into town. Also like that they are beside gyms and shops, schools and crèches (if I need that in the future!!).

I heard it's the Sandyford Hall complex that has all the social housing bought by the Council? Don't think that applies to Aikens Village or Belarmine?

I suppose I'm just wondering what's it like to live in either of these developments? Are there good resident associations? Are these places quiet generally? Do people like them?

The prices for the apartments seem right and I'm a first time buyer & have enough deposit saved. I'm afraid the prices will rise so I would like to move on buying soon. Buying now seems a cheaper option than renting.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Mort5000

markpb wrote: »
    Any chance you could post them here so other people could benefit?

Nope. They relate to people and events in the area and I can do with being identified on them.

• Advertisement

Thanks to all who posted, emailed and pm'd me. Got really positive feedback on the area and have looked at 2 apartments in the area and another to look at later this week. Aiken's Village is coming out on top for me so fingers crossed I can get an apartment that I can afford before prices climb any higher! Really appreciate all the feedback everyone. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6 durkin33

Hi Fsfop,

Just wondering how you got on and if you ended up buying in Belarmine?

I bought here in Sep 2015 and have no complaints. Really like the area.
    The area is quiet, modern with good facilities and generally good feel about the area.

durkin33 wrote: »
    Hi Fsfop,

Just wondering how you got on and if you ended up buying in Belarmine?

I bought here in Sep 2015 and have no complaints. Really like the area.
    The area is quiet, modern with good facilities and generally good feel about the area.

Sorry only replying now. Didn't end up buying in the end as began to set my sights on heading back to where I'm originally from for other reasons. Looked at loads of apartments. Liked Belarmine and loved Aikens Village. Just couldn't afford it in the end either. I bid on one 3-bed but got outbid. Just as well really as then I'd be tied to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 vwtsi140

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if someone knows about the Management fees in Cluain Shee and the breakdown of them?? I am considering buying an apartment in Cluain Shee ..

Any other thoughts on the development also welcome

Any help is much appreciated

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tribbiani

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if Aiken's village is still a good area to buy an apartment in? I'm looking at a 2 bed apartment which is really spacious and I loved the surroundings as well. But wanted to check on the social housing situation and also if the apartments have any real issues? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,173 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Well done on dragging up an 8 year old thread.

Advertisement