Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need your advice!

Options
  • 06-10-2015 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hello Guys,
    I’m a member of the tech startup team and I really need your advice.
    Imagine that you need an OBD-II tracker for your car, which features do you want to find there?
    Would you be surprised to know that this Black box is based on Android and you can monitor current speed, fuel level and many more?

And do you want this device to be able to send you a notification if a car gets into an accident so you could see a 3D model of a moving car at the moment of the accident?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I already have Torque Pro for diagnostics, and I would prefer not to have my car's ECU connected to the Internet, thank you. We're ruddy-well bad enough! :pac:

Many GPS-based vehicle tracking devices use a three-way accelerometer to detect collisions and send notifications already.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Ryan_Mitty

What GPS devices use accelerometer?
    ok) And what would you add to this device? Maybe there are things that could be useful for people?

Why did you choose Torque? What do you like in Torque?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Ryan_Mitty wrote: »
    Hello Guys,
    Imagine that you need an OBD-II tracker for your car, which features do you want to find there?
    Would you be surprised to know that this Black box is based on Android and you can monitor current speed, fuel level and many more?
    let's see....ideally
      tyre pressure
      oil level
      water level
      any blown bulbs - including a diagnostic test to see if you've short-wired your bulbs and the wrong one is being illuminated
      distance until next service due (in kilometres)
      automatic tracking device synced with your phone so you can find the car in the car park of Dundrum shopping centre!
      act as a toll bridge tag allowing you use Android Pay to make payment electronically at toll bridges

What GPS devices use accelerometer?
    ok) And what would you add to this device? Maybe there are things that could be useful for people?
    The majority as far as I can see. A quick Google search will fill you in. I personally wouldn't add anything to them, I don't use them.
    Why did you choose Torque? What do you like in Torque?

It runs on Android and the Pro version offers fairly comprehensive OBD-II Core Powertrain functionality for less than the price of a pint of beer. What's not to like?? :D

• Advertisement

let's see....ideally
      tyre pressure
      oil level
      water level
      any blown bulbs - including a diagnostic test to see if you've short-wired your bulbs and the wrong one is being illuminated
      automatic tracking device synced with your phone so you can find the car in the car park of Dundrum shopping centre!
      act as a toll bridge tag allowing you use Android Pay to make payment electronically at toll bridges

So, I can say that all this features will be in our device. We include them in our device and we have even more features.

let's see....ideally
      tyre pressure
      oil level
      water level

The first five of these, on a car with the hardware to detect/compute them, will be reported in no uncertain terms by the dash instruments. The last two are available as purpose-built products from various manufacturers and at various price-points, and they don't need to be plugged in to your car's OBD-II port to work, which is a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Great, its something ive thought about a lot and toyed with on a smaller level with a spare android device for basic tracking.

Heres a few id like

-Personally id like to be able to geo-fence the car whether that means auto shutdown or to receive a text notifying me or both.

-Id like it to be personalizable, theres a lot of features i would like to be able to turn off to be honest, but i suppose most could be bypassed with the new app permissions in 6.0 (if its built on it?)

-The ability to set service interval reminders would be great.

I have a few more in mind but can i ask you a question , do you have a list of data you can pull from ODB2? As some ideas might not even be possible.

projectgtr wrote: »
    Great, its something ive thought about a lot and toyed with on a smaller level with a spare android device for basic tracking.

Heres a few id like

-Personally id like to be able to geo-fence the car whether that means auto shutdown or to receive a text notifying me or both.

-Id like it to be personalizable, theres a lot of features i would like to be able to turn off to be honest, but i suppose most could be bypassed with the new app permissions in 6.0 (if its built on it?)

-The ability to set service interval reminders would be great.

I have a few more in mind but can i ask you a question , do you have a list of data you can pull from ODB2? As some ideas might not even be possible.

You're welcome to ask me. If you have any advice or idea, tell me. So, you need the list of the functions maybe?

I'm sorry I haven't contacted you the last few days but I've been very busy with my project.
    We have filmed some more videos for Kickstarter. We are almost ready to start our Kickstarter, so you will be able to see the result of our work. I believe we will start our campaign next week.
    I will keep you updated!

• Advertisement
Advertisement