Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clubs' data protection policies

Options
  • 06-10-2015 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭

This morning I received three unsolicited emails related to the upcoming AGM.

This came from an official (as far as I know) of a club sending an email to a large number of people with all the addresses visible to all the recipients. Two other people then hit reply all and sent more messages which I would consider spam. I assume that all of those addresses were provided either to enter tournaments or as league captains and not for promotional messages about chess politics.

If a business did this, the data protection commissioner would hammer them. Is there any ICU or LCU policy on this sort of misuse of email addresses?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I received two such e-mails yesterday, and you weren't on either, so I can only assume this was a different e-mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

Ciaran wrote: »
    This morning I received three unsolicited emails related to the upcoming AGM.

This came from an official (as far as I know) of a club sending an email to a large number of people with all the addresses visible to all the recipients. Two other people then hit reply all and sent more messages which I would consider spam. I assume that all of those addresses were provided either to enter tournaments or as league captains and not for promotional messages about chess politics.

If a business did this, the data protection commissioner would hammer them. Is there any ICU or LCU policy on this sort of misuse of email addresses?

No policy or misuse. Just (in my view) incorrect usage of email (inexperience if you will).

I think the senders don't realise that if they put anyone in the CC or To field, they are giving personal information to every other recipient AND they are saying they value the input of everyone in the CC and To field and would like a discussion involving everyone in the CC and To field.

If they don't want a discussion involving everyone in the CC or To field (And a reply to all), the email should be sent with everyone on the BCC field.

If email etiquette was Irish Chess's biggest issue/concern/problem, it'd be a huge improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭anchor4208

I've seen a couple of these emails, send by the chairperson of the ICU. Oh the irony. As has been stated previously, this is regarded as a data breach by the data protection commissioner. Of course Pat is unaware of this, so it should be merely pointed out to him. However, if Pat spotted one of his enemies doing exactly the same thing, he'd ban them for three years ...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Doesn't really matter if it was by design or by accident; it's a breach of the data protection act...

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭pawntof4

anchor4208 wrote: »
    I've seen a couple of these emails, send by the chairperson of the ICU. Oh the irony. As has been stated previously, this is regarded as a data breach by the data protection commissioner. Of course Pat is unaware of this, so it should be merely pointed out to him. However, if Pat spotted one of his enemies doing exactly the same thing, he'd ban them for three years ...

Using words like enemies and saying Pat would ban someone for 3 years isn't very helpful. You can't possibly know what someone would or wouldn't do in the future.
    Sparks wrote: »
    Doesn't really matter if it was by design or by accident; it's a breach of the data protection act...

It's a minor breach within our very small chess community. While I don't know the guy who made the mistake particularly well, any contact I've had with him has always been pleasant. Let's not make a mountain out of a mole hill here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

pawntof4 wrote: »
    It's a minor breach within our very small chess community. While I don't know guy who made the mistake particularly well, any contact I've had with him has always been pleasant. Let's not make a mountain out of a mole hill here.

I believe anchor was joking and making reference to the alleged data breach by Mark Orr which the development officer has recommend police involved.

Anyway, I agree with you, this is such a minor issue and the individual has always been pleasant whenever I've had dealing with him too. Honest mistake not putting individuals in the BCC field, no malicious intent.

But I don't think it's a data protection issue as this was a personal matter - an individual sending a personal email to his contacts in my view.

reunion wrote: »
    I believe anchor was joking and making reference to the alleged data breach by Mark Orr which the development officer has recommend police involved.

Fair enough, I miss interpreted his post

Anyone else get more spam this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

pawntof4 wrote: »
    Anyone else get more spam this morning?
    I didn't get anything on the email account I use to login to the site but maybe I'm registered with a different email address.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I did too. I find it obnoxious. I have no idea where he got my email, but whatever about notices of chess events in Bray, I do not want these messages.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I've asked to be removed from the messages; the reply was "No problems; sorry for the inconvenience"

Maybe it shouldn't have to come to that, but the option is there to ask to be removed.

The most annoying thing is being asked to vote for this exec with absolutely no back-up reason at all.

Advertisement