Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Completed weekend project

Options
  • 06-10-2015 8:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

Jus a bit of show and tell...

I made this mallet for myself over the weekend. Paul Sellers was my inspiration. I had some scrap maple and oak to work with. The head is maple but because of bruising I decided to face it with leather. I'm really happy with the result. The leather added a bit of weight.

The balance is good. It weighs in at 350g and gives good control when using chisels. The leather also means that I can use it on my projects without too much fear of marking them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

I love Paul Sellers. I could (and do!) watch his videos for hours! The mallet turned out great, nice job!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,818 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how easy was it vs. how easy he made it look?

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

how easy was it vs. how easy he made it look?

I'm not sure how to answer it except to say that it took me about 6 hours to do. I spent more time profiling the handle and I applied a finish, but excluding that, it still means that Paul did it in about one seventh of the time I took. So does that mean it's seven times more difficult than he made it look? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

It's never as easy as he makes it look .. the fecker! :)

Advertisement