Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road works at Arc Bar/Liffey Valley

Options
  • 06-10-2015 7:59am
    Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭

Has anyone any idea what the council are doing on the roundabout and grass verges by the Arc Bar and St Edmunds?

I've lost walking access now because of their works and have an additional 2km walk from the bus because of them..hoping the inconvenience in bad weather will be worth it!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

They're upgrading the roundabouts due to the new extensions to Liffey Valley shopping centre (Pennys etc) I believe.

Hopefully it'll improve traffic flow.
    Not sure the impact on pedestrians.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

They're upgrading the roundabouts due to the new extensions to Liffey Valley shopping centre (Pennys etc) I believe.

Hopefully it'll improve traffic flow.
    Not sure the impact on pedestrians.

It's the pedestrian access that needs most work if I'm honest...footpaths just seem to end in random places coming from the hermitage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,267 ✭✭✭alias no.9

They've been doing some work at the Fonthill/coldcut roundabout and the B&Q roundabout too, it all looks like improving pedestrian crossings so hopefully the same at the Arc which is horrifically bad for pedestrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Looks like 3 sets of people crossings at the Fonthill roundabout (retail pk), 2 on the Fonthill either side of the roundabout and one on the coldcut side. A disaster area already is going to get an awful lot worse imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

When the Gazette reported on it they said the road works were particularly for the improvement of pedestrian access to the centre, which in this country means stick traffic lights everywhere :rolleyes:

They're widening the slip roads at the power city entrance on the fonthill road too, which should help a bit with congestion.

• Advertisement

phasers wrote: »
    When the Gazette reported on it they said the road works were particularly for the improvement of pedestrian access to the centre, which in this country means stick traffic lights everywhere :rolleyes:

They're widening the slip roads at the power city entrance on the fonthill road too, which should help a bit with congestion.

They need some traffic lights. That roundabout at the Arc is lethal for anyone on foot, especially if you are coming from the bus stops on the N4 you are completely blind to traffic coming off Lomans road.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

They need some traffic lights. That roundabout at the Arc is lethal for anyone on foot, especially if you are coming from the bus stops on the N4 you are completely blind to traffic coming off Lomans road.
    Hopefully pedestrian traffic lights aren't the solution, it will make a dangerous and fast roundabout even more dangerous. If they're putting traffic lights in it should be real traffic lights and not blinky yellow ones that are ignored half the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,961 ✭✭✭✭unkel

for the improvement of pedestrian access to the centre

Only a tiny minority of visitors to the Fonthill retail park are pedestrians now. Better pedestrian crossings will do very little to change this. A complete waste of money so. And adding to the already heavily congested exit from the park, particularly around 5PM when most of the office workers leave work.

Who decided to go ahead with this work?

If only there was some way of 'bridging' the roads around there to separate the pedestrians and the traffic...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,413 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

unkel wrote:
    Only a tiny minority of visitors to the Fonthill retail park are pedestrians now. Better pedestrian crossings will do very little to change this. A complete waste of money so.

But it's coming up to the end of the year and if they don't spend their budget now, they won't get the same amount next year!

Q4 is always silly season for roadworks, but this year seems particularly bad. Driving from Firhouse to the RDS the other week I think I counted 6 different sets.

• Advertisement

Dial Hard wrote: »
    But it's coming up to the end of the year and if they don't spend their budget now, they won't get the same amount next year!

Q4 is always silly season for roadworks, but this year seems particularly bad. Driving from Firhouse to the RDS the other week I think I counted 6 different sets.

It's partly that and partly the government getting things going for the election. Look at how good we are, etc.

There is a pole for a traffic light visible on the new footpath and all the barriers are stacked on the opposite side now.

Guess there is a pedestrian/traffic light of some description going in by the roundabout.

I wonder will they do anything about the access to Fonthill Road from the bus stop just after the off ramp from the N4 outbound? Most people I see getting off there cut across the grass.

I wonder will they do anything about the access to Fonthill Road from the bus stop just after the off ramp from the N4 outbound? Most people I see getting off there cut across the grass.

I hope they do. I've had quite a few near misses there and been clipped by wing mirrors.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Put the lights a good bit away from the roundabout though

Put the lights a good bit away from the roundabout though

That won't work, there are three roundabouts in quick succession on that road. Where would pedestrian access be if it's to be a good bit away from the roundabout...Palmerstown?

That won't work, there are three roundabouts in quick succession on that road. Where would pedestrian access be if it's to be a good bit away from the roundabout...Palmerstown?

Well its stupid and dangerous to place them at a roundabout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

A big hold up on the Liffey Valley exit westbound from the N4.

Traffic completely stopped all the way back to m50 exit while other lanes going at normal speed until some muppet pulls out suddenly abandoning his intention of entering the Liffey valley/fonthill rd at the last minute.

Watch out for stopped traffic on this section of the N4.

doolox wrote: »
    A big hold up on the Liffey Valley exit westbound from the N4.

Traffic completely stopped all the way back to m50 exit while other lanes going at normal speed until some muppet pulls out suddenly abandoning his intention of entering the Liffey valley/fonthill rd at the last minute.

Watch out for stopped traffic on this section of the N4.

It's a bit mental there at the minute as lane restrictions are in place at the roundabout at the Fonthill Retail park & then again at the roundabout on the Fonthill Road/St Lomans Road.The other night they had closed off the exit to Liffey Valley, so all traffic had to go down to the next round about and make their way into the left filter lane. No warnings, no signs and a few near misses.
    Hopefully they will finish it next week when the schools are off and the traffic is somewhat less congested.

It's a bit mental there at the minute as lane restrictions are in place at the roundabout at the Fonthill Retail park & then again at the roundabout on the Fonthill Road/St Lomans Road.The other night they had closed off the exit to Liffey Valley, so all traffic had to go down to the next round about and make their way into the left filter lane. No warnings, no signs and a few near misses.
    Hopefully they will finish it next week when the schools are off and the traffic is somewhat less congested.

They probably take their own mid term then also :D

• Advertisement

What is the story with the roundabout at the Fonthill retail park? Coming from Ronanstown, there is a bus lane and other lane, the roundabout had two lanes on it and this is now down to one from this direction, meaning any bus intending on going straight now has to go into the right lane. Planners are going backwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Roundabout at the car dealers/vue entrance is also down to 1 lane now too. Traffic has been bedlam in the Centre the past few weekends even at the off-peak times so I can only imagine what the run up to Christmas is going to be like

I noticed what looks like more traffic/pedestrian lights at the roundabout by the Fonthill Retail park in the last few days. I'm guessing all of this is part of the planning for the upgrade to the entire complex.
    Still think they need to extend their remit to give pedestrian access between the N4/Hermitage slip road to those on St Lomans Road, granted if they have lights by the Arc bar and then more lights on the Shancastle/Fonthill road exit on the roundabout it will be sufficient as you can at least cross safely without fear of being creamed by oncoming vehicles.

I noticed what looks like more traffic/pedestrian lights at the roundabout by the Fonthill Retail park in the last few days. I'm guessing all of this is part of the planning for the upgrade to the entire complex.
    Still think they need to extend their remit to give pedestrian access between the N4/Hermitage slip road to those on St Lomans Road, granted if they have lights by the Arc bar and then more lights on the Shancastle/Fonthill road exit on the roundabout it will be sufficient as you can at least cross safely without fear of being creamed by oncoming vehicles.

What were wrong with the lights at the school down the road.
    Lights at roundabouts are just so dangerous

What were wrong with the lights at the school down the road.
    Lights at roundabouts are just so dangerous

It's nowhere near the N4 and you have to cross two roundabouts to get to them.

It's nowhere near the N4 and you have to cross two roundabouts to get to them.

Was talking about the fonthill retail park which u mentioned

We now have 8 traffic lights from fonthill cross, up to roundabout and down to liffey valley gym.

Wait for the traffic issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

The road is a calamity now! To get from Liffey Valley to the Fonthill retail park now I think you go through 5 sets of lights? Not to mention the roundabouts! It's bizarre.

The road is a calamity now! To get from Liffey Valley to the Fonthill retail park now I think you go through 5 sets of lights? Not to mention the roundabouts! It's bizarre.

Depends which way you, 5 is the least amount!!!

Think Fonthill road will now hold the record for amount of lights it. Will make traffic worst in the areas and actually more dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Looks as though that is being addressed now with addition of a footpath extending from St lomans road onto the fonthill and down to the small roundabout as you head towards the hermitage. There's also pedestrian lights across the on slip to the N4.

Advertisement