Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

studying with a toddler help

Options
  • 04-10-2015 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

Hi studying an online course, exams are in November and I can't seem to get any peace from my nearly 2 year old daughter. She's very clingy and will not move from me, if I do try to study with her she will try join in and start playing with her crayons etc.. She goes to creche twice a week but I still need to study every day

Any ideas on how to distract her while I study thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

I hate to say it but.... Does she have a favourite tv show?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

What time does she go to bed at in the evenings? Been where you are, made sure to get chores, jobs etc done during the day so that as soon as himself went to bed I got a good 2-3 hours done at night.
    It's not easy but well done for taking up the studies!

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭celligraphy

She ll watch TV no problem quietly but the minute the books comes out she ll run over to try draw on them and get involved, I was thinking of maybe putting on peppa pig in her bedroom just to see if she ll stay for abit.

She wakes about half 8, no nap during the day and goes to bed half ten, but I have to stay in her room with her until she's asleep. Very clingy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Could you get her her own "college" books? Set up her desk (a small one), stickers and crayons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I get the same when I try to do any work from home with my 18 month old. We have an au pair, but if I'm there, mammy doing something off limits is way more interesting (of course!).

I try to involve her sometimes, which gets me about 15 minute stretches. I have a very old broken laptop, so she plays with that beside me while I use mine. If I have papers out, she will be sitting at the table with papers and colouring pencils. Snack time I can get a couple of minutes at the same table to answer emails, especially if it's tricky to eat, like a noodle salad or something in a pot with a spoon. We still get Naps of 40 mins or so, which are also gone for you? But I'm guessing study is something you want a good run at.

Other than that, if you want to study during the day, can you get more childcare or arrange play date swaps? You can't leave her on her own at that age, they need a sharp eye, and also it's just not fair on them when all they want is some attention and are trying to learn from you. A 2 year old cannot look after themselves for the day.

Also, holy moly that child is very possibly short on sleep, which might be making her more clingy and grouchy. I would have expected a 2 year old to get 13 to 14 hours of sleep per day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

She wakes about half 8, no nap during the day and goes to bed half ten, but I have to stay in her room with her until she's asleep. Very clingy
    What? 10.30 at night? That's far too late for a child that's barely 2. My 11 year old would rarely be let stay up or even be able to stay awake that late at weekends never mind every night. If you had her in bed by 8 you would get more study done, by the time you are getting her to bed, it's near enough bedtime for yourself too! What's your day time routine like if she doesn't get much sleep and is clinging to you most of the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭celligraphy

She's very very clingy to me, she ll get up at either half 8 or 9, get her breakfast, watch peppa pig, do bit colouring, go for a walk,visit Park etc do shopping return home, play more with her, watch more peppa pig, visit her grandparents,

Then home for dinner and more playing she's so hyper. Some days I ll get a hour nap from her if I'm lucky, .

Some days she ll even go from waking at half 7 to staying up until 1am.

I really don't get it, I restrict her off sweets but she ll only go bed early if I bring her to my bed or climb into hers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

I'd definitely be looking into bringing her bedtime a couple of hours earlier!

Other than that, you could try going to bed at the same time as her and getting up an hour or two before she's due to wake. Many parents I know find early morning study a lot more productive than night time study. Even if it initially feels unnatural to be awake at that hour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

With exams in November you're under pressure to get that done now, so I can see why you're going for the easy life and giving in a bit on the sleep thing. But honestly, a 2 year old staying up that late is a disaster. Children with lack of sleep display hyperactivity, emotional problems (clinginess), and your daughter is missing about 4 hours of sleep per night. A bedtime routine would make a massive difference to you both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I've a son the same age and can just imagine it. Your books are probably such a novelty that it'll be hard to distract her. The minute I start doing something for myself, he's over trying to win my attention.

It's a change of routine but is there anyway you can try to bring forward her bedtime? It's the only way I can see that you'd get quality time to study. You might find yourself staying up really late otherwise.

Also, if the weather is nice, maybe you could study in the garden while she plays. She might be less clingy outside.

*for some reason none of the above posts were showing when I posted earlier so I thought I was the first to say about the earlier bedtime!*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

She's definitely not getting enough sleep. Being hyper is more than likely overtiredness. It's a vicious circle as the more overtired they are, the harder it is to get them to sleep. Definitely work on getting a nap in there even if you have to go with her for a few days and bringing bedtime back to 8pm or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

My 3 year old sleeps 12 hours at night and an hour during the day, her sister does 12 at night and 2 hours during the day.

I cannot imagine having them up til that time at night, they would be unbearable and clingy. Maybe try to sort out an earlier bedtime routine that doesn't involve you staying, they are able to settle themselves at this age. Hopefully that will give you more time to study

Our routine is:
    7/7:30am wake, breakfast etc
    12:00 lunch followed by nap
    No TV until 6
    7/7:30pm shower and bed

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

And for the first few days of her new bedtime, get lots of outdoor activity in beforehand - going to the park or a long walk to wear her out. It'll help.

I found it impossible to study with a toddler - even if they are colouring quietly beside you for an hour, they chatter and you lose your train of thought constantly.

Or, you could go to bed early yourself and get up and do a few hours before she gets up until you get your exams?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Do you have anyone or any family members that could mind her a couple times a week or take her out for a couple of hours?

or heres a thought.... Playschool? That will give you the mornings free.

o also... i agree about putting her to bed earlier and her getting up earlier. However, with exams only over the horizon it is doubtful this will be on your list of priorites for the next few weeks. How about getting up yourself at 6am every morning and getting 2 hours done before she wakes up? 6am might sound early... but its only for a month. we are up at 7.30am (6am if im working) every day and our 2 toddlers go to bed every night at 7.30pm. Its all about routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I know you posted about ths study issue OP, but I do agree with the sleep comments.Our 15month old goes to bed at 7:30 and wakes at 6:30.She's just gone down to one nap in a day of two hours. I'm only really posting here because I have done the study with baby thing, and honestly, it was all in the evening after bedtime.I don't really know how you'll manage it otherwise, because you do need a good run of a chunk of time at studying.
    I don't know how close your exams are, but if you have a bit of time,a week or two of a good, consistent, non-negotiable bedtime routine (not including you lying down with her) would most likely sort her out for a 8pm bedtime.I'd also have her outside as much as possible.....big long walks and playground time especially in the afternoon because the fresh air knocks them out.She's hyper because she's knackered.It doesn't look it, but that's why, you don't realise they're tired unless you know that.
    If panic is setting in for you, I'd suggest leaving her with the grandparents in the afternoon and taking your study time then.Could the grandparents take her out walking?That would help too.I'd still start moving her bedtime forwards slowly, getting a routine going.It will benefit you both hugely in the future because she is very short on sleep by the sounds of it.

Advertisement