Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engineers report 1979 MGB Insurance

Options
  • 04-10-2015 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

I'm currently in the process of buying a 1979 MGB from my uncle in the UK. The car has a current UK MOT. Just looking into the insurance side of things and I've read through all of the previous threads on this forum, which mention an engineers report. I'm looking for any information regarding, which insurance companies require an engineers report before issuing insurance please?

I've read through the main "Classic Insurance - Companies & Brokers" thread also.

Generally speaking most forum members seem to be insuring their classic with one of the following companies listed below.

Axa

Aviva

FBD (Irish Vintage Society)

Campion

Carole Nash

First Ireland

O' Driscoll O' Neill

As the MGB is 1979, it is currently exempt from the NCT. As it has a current UK MOT will this be accepted by Irish insurance companies in general instead of the requirement for an engineers report?

Can anyone offer any further information regarding insurance companies and the requirements for engineers reports? Having read through previous threads on the subject there seems to be differing opinions regarding the person that the insurance company require to carry out the report.

So when an insurance company says they require an engineers report, are they looking for a garage report from any mechanic, or are they looking for a main dealer to carry out the inspection or is there a specific requirement for a registered motor engineer to carry out the inspection?(http://www.iaea-online.org/)

If anybody has any previous experience going through this procedure could you please share your experiences of completing these engineers reports. Are they very strict and would they pick up on small bits of rust around arches etc or is it a more general road worthiness test testing brakes,lights,tyres etc? Also what kind of costs should be expected for an engineers report?

I presume that if the insurance company requires an engineers report, they will not allow you to drive the car until this is completed, so I will have to trailer the car to the test or get somebody to come to my home?

If you have classic insurance can you give details of your insurance company and any requirements for an engineers report for cars exempt from the NCT. All replies appreciated.

Thanks Pachanco

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭kfog

I have been insured with Axa, First Ireland and Carole Nash over the years and never needed an engineers report. Unless your car has been modified it is unlikely you will require one.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pachanco

Thanks for the reply kfog. No modifications on the mg so hopefully it should be straightforward enough getting the insurance sorted. I thought they might be looking for an engineers report given the fact that the car is 1979 and nct exempt.

I'd still be interested to hear from anybody with experience going through the procedure of getting an engineers report and any details regarding cost and how detailed the examination process is. Anybody else ever been asked for an engineers report by your classic car insurer or is it something that is limited to modified cars/repaired cars?

Pachanco

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Aig insisted on an engineers report on my 93 bmw 740 for classic insurance. the car is modified, but only cosmetically, ie body kit.
    Aig said the report is check for performance mods and accepted a letter from my garage stating that the car is mechanicly stock.
    The insurance company knows about the body kit and dosent care about it.

An AA report would probably do. but cant tell if it's the same for all insurance companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pachanco

Thanks Skatedude.

I guess the need for an engineers report is limited to modifications or major repairs in that case. Perhaps if I was looking to run an nct exempt pre 1980 classic car as my main car, the need for an engineers report may arise. As the mileage with most of the classic car policies is so limited, I guess it is not deemed necessary by the insurance companies.

I rang one of the insurance brokers today and there was no mention of any engineers report anyway, so happy days.

Pachanco

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Even though your car will be exempt from the NCT, it's no harm to have it tested regardless. That way, you will have a very good "diagnosis" of the cars overall condition, highlighting specific issues that might need attention. If it passes, you have peace of mind and an "engineers report".

And cars of that age aren't tested as critically in some respects, out of consideration for their age/spec etc.

I have a 79 MGBGT at home, lined up as a full nut and bolt restoration project and I would intend putting it through the NCT when the time comes......(whenever.........)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭Silvera

I insured a '78 car with First Ireland in July 2015 and there was no requirement for an Engineers Report.

It was my first time taking out classic insurance (I wouldnt recommend First Ireland btw ...lousy customer service).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

I insured a 1973 car on a standard motor policy with AXA back in 2007. They were happy to take the current MOT in lieu an engineer's report.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

If you get an "agreed" value with Carole Nash they will require ane engineers report.

Advertisement