Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

portrait charge

Options
  • 04-10-2015 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I am a beginner/improver with a Nikon D3300. I have been asked to shoot a portrait of someone who liked my previous shots. How much would I charge. They are aware i am not a pro

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

PicGirl wrote: »
    I am a beginner/improver with a Nikon D3300. I have been asked to shoot a portrait of someone who liked my previous shots. How much would I charge. They are aware i am not a pro

Are you going to blow it up to a particular size?

How long will it take to arrange and shoot?

Do you need to travel somewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 PicGirl

Are you going to blow it up to a particular size?

How long will it take to arrange and shoot?

Do you need to travel somewhere?
    it will be an 8x6 to start. i may ask if they want bigger. it is an important picture to them
    i am guessing an hour to shoot. I only have camera and not lighting etc. they know that i am not pro
    I will travel only a mile

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Just make sure that you size your photo correctly for print, out of the camera the photo will print correctly in a 2 by 3 format.
    4x6, 8x12, 10 x 15 etc. otherwise you may use post processing to change print size. Ignore my post if you are already familiar with this.
    Good luck with the shoot. I suggest you charge €30 or €40 which includes the print.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭pwllor

If you're just starting with portraits, make sure you learn about lighting your subject.
    It will make a huge difference to your photos and can lead to more assignments when you improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Yes, lighting is key.

I'm assuming you'll be using natural light. Will it be indoors or outdoors? What kind of location do you have in mind?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭AndersLimpar

If you are only a beginner and dont really know what you are doing then surely the only answer to this question is to do it for nothing and use the experience as a leaning tool?

Charge for the prints of course (whatever markup you feel is fair) but the actual photography shouldn't really be charged for if all you have is an entry level camera that you dont know how to use properly?

If you are only a beginner and dont really know what you are doing then surely the only answer to this question is to do it for nothing and use the experience as a leaning tool?

Charge for the prints of course (whatever markup you feel is fair) but the actual photography shouldn't really be charged for if all you have is an entry level camera that you dont know how to use properly?
    you work free if you want. i am not spending an hour of my time- with someone who asked me to do it- for nothing

If i do it free i will have all their business contacts around me looking for something for nothing as i had before in my other work. They have plenty money and could hire a professional, If they asked me to sweep their yard i would charge them. Working free gets you a name as cheap, If it is not worth being paid for it is not worth time doing regardless of skill level

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

If you're doing a print only and given your experience level, I think around €50 would be fair.

PicGirl wrote: »
    you work free if you want. i am not spending an hour of my time- with someone who asked me to do it- for nothing

If i do it free i will have all their business contacts around me looking for something for nothing as i had before in my other work. They have plenty money and could hire a professional, If they asked me to sweep their yard i would charge them. Working free gets you a name as cheap, If it is not worth being paid for it is not worth time doing regardless of skill level

I accept that but if you don't really know what you are doing as you are only a beginner then maybe you should have said no to them when asked?

I have a basic paintbrush at home but if someone asked me to paint their kitchen I would say no :)

I accept that but if you don't really know what you are doing as you are only a beginner then maybe you should have said no to them when asked?

I have a basic paintbrush at home but if someone asked me to paint their kitchen I would say no :)
    I do know what i am doing up to a point and am not claiming anything i don't know. Why would i say no to a job when i am not misrepresenting myself.

If someone asked you to paint their kitchen knowing you are not a pro and being content with that you would be within your rights to charge them You could choose to say no. i chose to say yes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Seems that you have been open about your level of experience and have not misrepresented your abilities. You have been asked to do a job and should be reimbursed. I agree that a fee of about €50 including the print would be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

This one has all the answers but not the know how!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

If I liked how you painted your kitchen I might ask you to paint mine. I wouldn't expect you to do it for free.

Super, thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Oh FFS!

It has NOTHING to do with us. She has been asked to do the job and they are willing to pay for it. We were simply asked what would be a fair price. Yes you may be able to do it with better quality than anyone else in the world but you were not asked. The OP was. Get over it. She has admitted to having limited experience and the client is OK with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 siobh123

Well said CabanSail.. Well said!!!

I got paid and got another commissionn as a result of someone seeing the shot. Thanks to the people who helped. I ignore negative people and do not respond to them or waste my time with them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the actual photography shouldn't really be charged for if all you have is an entry level camera
    thank you, that's my afternoon chuckle catered for.

Advertisement