Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Volunteering abroad

• 04-10-2015 12:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 415 ✭✭

Hello,
    Has anybody volunteered with GVI?

I'm thinking of applying to volunteer in Thailand teaching English. Or is there other organisations I can look into.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

Why do you want to volunteer? There's plenty of paid teaching jobs here. Genuine question by the way.

I do some volunteering in a local orphanage, I teach there on Saturdays. I've heard of the organisation you mentioned, but don't know much about them. I don't know of any other organisations either, I've never heard of someone doing it and never really looked into it. How long is it for and what type of visa are they giving you?

johnmck wrote: »
    Eehhhh no, there's not plenty of paid teaching work here!! Nothing of permanency, been working in education 4 years now, still no permenant job and its getting worse with jobbridge and outsourcing of teaching by ETBs for further and adult education to private companies now. Soon primary and secondary will go that way... So while there is teaching work permanent contracts are extremely scare and hard to come by so I may as well skidaddle for a few weeks or months to somewhere warmer and enjoy myself while doing it

Sorry, when I said 'here' I meant in Thailand :o Should have mentioned that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 415 ✭✭johnmck

Administration, just delete this thread will ya please !!!

Well aren't you charming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭j.s. pill II

For anyone who might be interested, IrishAid (run by department of foreign affairs) will be holding a volunteer fair in Dublin tomorrow (10/10/15)

Details here

A lot of commercial volunteering organisations will be in attendance - the type of work you're looking for should be covered by at least one of then OP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dublinbabe

Hi I am wondering If anyone can help me out ..

I am looking to do a volunteer programme this year, I am considering doing the Nepal programme helping to build houses through USIT .. Has anyone ever done anything with USIT that can let me know what they are like, The price is nearly 2000 euro for a two week programme.

I have never done anything like this so I dont know if that is to expensive or can anyone recommend a different place they went throught that they would recommened!

I would appreciate any help or information ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭j.s. pill II

Dublinbabe wrote: »

I am looking to do a volunteer programme this year, I am considering doing the Nepal programme helping to build houses through USIT .. Has anyone ever done anything with USIT that can let me know what they are like, The price is nearly 2000 euro for a two week programme.

I have never done anything like this so I dont know if that is to expensive or can anyone recommend a different place they went throught that they would recommened!

Have you got a link for this one? I spent quite a while in Nepal last year working on the relief effort, I'd be happy to have a look at it for you.

If you have your heart set on Nepal, maybe have a look at what VSI have to offer have a look at their short term work camps. Search for Nepal, there are some projects coming up in march & April. VSI.ie is run by the Service Civil International and is very reputable. They're co-funded by Erasmus and the Council of Eurpoe. Have a look at what they have on offer in other countries too, may be of some interest to you.

2 grand is expensive alright. Pretty much standard for these sort of volunteer trips though. Up until recently, there were a couple of smaller outfits in Kathmandu who you could volunteer with for free. Most of them sprang up after the quake in April but would have wound down significantly now at this stage

[MODS - separate thread??]

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Dublinbabe wrote: »

Can I just ask - is that including flights or is that just to volunteer? I know a good place in India that will charge much less if you're interested. Don't know much about Nepal unfortunately.

Advertisement