Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming classes for babies

Options
  • 04-10-2015 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I've been taken my little girl to swimming classes with Waterbabies for a while now and while the first term was great and I was delighted with it I'm less than impressed with the second term.
    So far the classes have been cancelled twice due to a problem getting the pool to the correct temperature and the teacher this term seems to be less interested than the teacher we had the first term.
    Aslo the jump between the classes seems to be too much this time around I think.
    Given how much the classes are I would expect more.

Have any of you used any other companies for lessons for your babies and if so would you recommend them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

We bring ours to an open toddler and parents swim session. I personally don't think they need or benefit from lessons until they're older. We pay as we go so no cost if we miss a week. They'll happily paddle around and love the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Penny if you are Southside they do baby swimming classes in rathmines pool which I think are much cheaper than waterbabies etc. my friend brings her son and he loves it ;) they have a teacher.

At the weekend the pool in cheeverstown is open to the public (I keep meaning to go!!) and it is meant to be lovely and warm much warmer than the waterbabies etc. you just go yourself for a splash/dip/paddle. There is no teacher.

I would go to cheeverstown over all the waterbabies, swim babies, turtle tots etc.
    The other option is the parent and swim slots in a regular swimming pool (no teacher)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I found the first term with water babies great as was get teacher. This second term has been a disappointment. I'm really only doing the classes for a little while so that I get to learn how to teach her and have enough knowledge to stop with the formal lessons for a while but just continue so she is happy and confident in the water.

Cheeverstown would be ok so I'll check it out. Turtle Tots also sounds good and is cheaper. They're opening up classes in North Dublin apparently but I haven't had any confirmation as to where they will be as of yet.

I found the first term with water babies great as was get teacher. This second term has been a disappointment. I'm really only doing the classes for a little while so that I get to learn how to teach her and have enough knowledge to stop with the formal lessons for a while but just continue so she is happy and confident in the water.

Cheeverstown would be ok so I'll check it out. Turtle Tots also sounds good and is cheaper. They're opening up classes in North Dublin apparently but I haven't had any confirmation as to where they will be as of yet.

I know turtle tots is in terenure college. My neighbours bring their kids swimming there for the "family swim" but they said pool wouldn't be anyway near as warm as cheeverstown.
    Are there any swimming pools like cheeverstown on the northside open to non service users? Like crc/enable ireland etc? Or Stewarts hospital in palmerstown? I would say their pools would be like a bath ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭sm213

Millem wrote: »
    I know turtle tots is in terenure college. My neighbours bring their kids swimming there for the "family swim" but they said pool wouldn't be anyway near as warm as cheeverstown.
    Are there any swimming pools like cheeverstown on the northside open to non service users? Like crc/enable ireland etc? Or Stewarts hospital in palmerstown? I would say their pools would be like a bath ;)

I've seen before that Stewarts opens to public but that was a while ago. Not sure if they still do.

• Advertisement

sm213 wrote: »
    I've seen before that Stewarts opens to public but that was a while ago. Not sure if they still do.

I actually worked there years ago...great set up for the service users. No idea if they still open but it is worth a phone call. I would say it is like a bath!
    My own school has a pool which has a parent and child swim but it would be too cold for my fella!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I probably going against the grain but I think it's really important to get them comfortable with water from a young age

We do swimming in the mespil pool

My 3 year just started proper swimming lessons after 2 1/2 years of baby/toddler swimming, she is loving it and doing really well

My 19 month old is doing toddler swimming with the hope of moving to full swimming lessons when she's 2 1/2, she's been doing baby swimming since 11 weeks

It's about safety in water and eventually it'll be learning to swim but it's been invaluable to both of mine

We never did waterbabies; quite a few friends have and the reviews have not been very positive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The water babies class I watched (before waiting to get in the pool with my baby for 3 euros a go) seemed like the marketing was their main focus. Cd's , t shirts, all the gear and the photography sessions.

Anyway, the cuidiu parenting groups also organise baby swimming. I think it's great when the babies get used to the water. We've been bringing both our children since they were very small, and it's great to see the confidence when they are older. Side bonus, it's about a tenth of the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I have my daughter in waterbabies since she was 3 months. She is 3 now and can swim a full width unaided. No armbands etc. She can duvets the bottom of the pool and float on her back. It's amazing to see her confidence in the water.

While I agree it's expensive it's a life skill
    I haven't bought any waterbabies products other than the happy nappy, and have never felt pressure to do so

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

You can do drop in baby classes in Ballymun swimming pool - €5

It's just as good as Water babies. we loved it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

We did one term of waterbabies.It was ok, but I don't really see the point in structured classes for small babies.Both the OH and I are very good swimmers so our little one (15 mths) is going to lessons at a later date no matter what.For now we bring her to an open family hour once a week and she loves it. She's totally happy in the water, goes in and out no bother....time to perfect her stroke at a later date :-)For now she's comfortable and enjoying herself with no fear, and learning a bit....that's ok by us.

Advertisement