Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nikon Lense compatibility

Options
  • 03-10-2015 5:16pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Thinking of upgrading my camera, currently have a Nikon D40x so looking to take a significant jump up but not spending an absolute fortune either. The D600 is standing out for me, although there is issues regarding the shutter and oil I believe this is not as big as people are making it out to be, any views?

The main thing I am wondering about is if my lenses with the D40x can be used with the D600/D610 so if they are I can just focus on getting the body. I bought a Nikkor 50mm lense at one stage that didnt have an AF motor built in and with the D40x not having the motor either I have to manually focus. Does anyone know if the D600 has an in-built motor?

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭malin182

Also does anyone know anyone selling one? There are 2 ads on adverts for €1000, is that a good price?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Yes the D600 has an internal motor so your 50mm will autofocus with it. And if you have DX lens with your D40 they will work on the D600/610 also but in cropped mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭pwllor

They are priced similar on ebay. Are the new or used on adverts?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I have the D600 myself as a spare body. Have not had any issues with oil from the shutter but it's not been worked very hard.

You can use the DX lenses on it, but it sort of negates buying a full frame body. As said before it does have the internal AF motor.

How is the D40x limiting you? If you are shooting with the kit lens maybe you would get more bang out of some new glass instead of a new body. If you get some FX lenses then the eventual change to full frame is easier in the future.

What I like about the D600 is that the shutter is very quiet, much quieter than my D800.

What I do not like about the D600 is that the ergonomics are suited for JPEG shooting. It has "Scene Modes" and stuff like that. I have it set up for my use now but the D800 is easier to set up the important things and just has the PASM for modes.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

CabanSail wrote: »
    I have the D600 myself as a spare body. Have not had any issues with oil from the shutter but it's not been worked very hard.

You can use the DX lenses on it, but it sort of negates buying a full frame body. As said before it does have the internal AF motor.

How is the D40x limiting you? If you are shooting with the kit lens maybe you would get more bang out of some new glass instead of a new body. If you get some FX lenses then the eventual change to full frame is easier in the future.

What I like about the D600 is that the shutter is very quiet, much quieter than my D800.

What I do not like about the D600 is that the ergonomics are suited for JPEG shooting. It has "Scene Modes" and stuff like that. I have it set up for my use now but the D800 is easier to set up the important things and just has the PASM for modes.

The ergonomics are set up for jpeg shooting? I don't agree with that statement at all. The D750 uses the same control layout, and I know plenty of pros who use D600/750 for weddings. It has a a dedicated button for almost everything, and a bog standard PASM dial. What's the problem?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭malin182

Thanks guys, I don't think I am going to go full frame now, its a bit much for my needs. I was thinking the D7200, mianly for the wireless and time lapse capability, does anyone know if it is worth going for that over the D7100? I know the 7100 has an AF motor built in, does the 7200?

Advertisement