Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sea Swimming in Winter

Options
  • 02-10-2015 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi

I got back into sea swimming this summer as I moved close to Cahore in Wexford but now weather has cooled I'm wondering about swimming over the autumn/winter. I've swam with a friend and alone as Cahore is a sheltered bay and always has lots of people around on the pier etc so I've felt safe.

To be honest the water safety ads about the rapid effects of cold water have scared me a little especially as ther will be less people around.

Do any of you swim over the winter? If so do you use a wetsuit? Do you swim alone or always with a buddy? Any advice?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Last year I swam all year round. It was always with a group of other swimmers. We would be told the sea temp before we got in, we would have a chat about how far we would go, sometimes it would only be 100m as it was 6.2 degrees one day and we only stayed in for 5 minutes or so at that temp.

It would be wise to time yourself while out in it as you can get a bit complacent and think your ok. Always Swim with a group and always have a plan. Plus make sure to bring tea/coffee for afterwards.

Hopefully I'll be back out in 40ft tomorrow to start all year swimming again...oh didn't use a wetsuit. Well none of the group did.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

I swim in Cahore myself at the weekends, didn't manage to get in last weekend though. I'm sure one of the resident swimmers Sammi was in all last winter, she invested in a wetsuit. During summer she tends to swim around 10:30 am and again in the evening between 4 &5 pm. The engraved stone at the end of the carpark is in honour of her Dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭BogMonkey

I do it on my own most days. Its grand. If its really windy, I wouldn't swim in deep water though. Swimming in the big waves in shallow water is great fun, but I notice you have to be real careful still cuz the tide under the waves drags you. The area I swim in doesn't have many currents it seems, I've never actually been in one. I don't have a wetsuit. I only started swimming before the summer, so yesterday was the coldest day I swam so far. I'm not sure how far into the winter I'll make it. I'd say at least mid December though.

Advertisement