Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obituary look up

Options
  • 02-10-2015 6:06pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I wonder could anyone with relevant access check a recent-ish death in the newspapers?
    Joseph William Halloran of Foxrock who died in 1989.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Hermy wrote: »
    I wonder could anyone with relevant access check a recent-ish death in the newspapers?
    Joseph William Halloran of Foxrock who died in 1989.

Hi Hermy

I've checked but no obituary in 1989.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Burial record for him at Glasnevin Trust states he was married which I'm not sure about so perhaps an obituary might confirm family details.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Boscod

Here you go......

That's brilliant Bosco.

NFpDcmu.png?1

As you can see Tunny appears on the above chart compiled by my great-uncle in the 1970's.
    I've always assumed Tunny was a girl and till now had found nothing and no one who could tell me who he was!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Hermy,
    The capital T of Tunny looks a bit like a J. Perhaps it should read Jenny.

• Advertisement

No tabbey - it's definitely Tunny as per the death notice.
    Their are actually two versions of the chart and the T is unambiguous in the other version.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

This thread caught my eye. I have come across 'Tunny' before as a nickname for 'William'. I'd love to know where the 'Tunny' comes from.

Boscod wrote: »
    Here you go......

Boscod, by chance do you happen to know what newspaper this notice came from?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Irish Times, 9th March 1989

Thanks for that Boscod.

If you still have access to the Times archive I wonder could you see if his wife Dot's death notice turns up.
    I know next to nothing about her as to date the only mention I have of her is in her husbands death notice and she may be Anna E. Halloran as per the electoral rolls which are no longer on line.
    I'm guessing they married late and had no children as there are no likely entries for same in the civil indexes online either.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Hermy, had a look for this yesterday. 17k results for Halloran alone, however no joy using combinations of Halloran + Foxrock, Dot, Anne etc. If you ever establish a possible date I can check again.

Thanks very much for trying Boscod.
    I'll have to try and chase up their marriage record if I can as she's proved quite elusive to date.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I'd say 'Dot' is for 'Dorothy'.

Advertisement