Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemical weapons in use in Ukraine!!! Feel sick at this!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I saw this earlier. I was absolutely shocked and numbed by this development. Whatever, about chemical weapons being used in the likes of Syria, it is gravely worrying to see that chemical weapons being used in a westernising European country.
    Things may be taking a turn for the worst in Ukraine. I fear what retalitory actions might involve be the opposing side.

http://www.ibtimes.com/ukraine-us-plotting-use-chemical-weapons-against-donetsk-rebels-russian-media-claims-193749

An horrific death is an horrific death, be it there or nearer here, so I'm unsure where you're coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭TheChizler

TBH I can't see past the source of their information (the rebels and Russia).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

Because chemical weapons are immensly cruel, indiscriminate and their use is nothing short of barbarism. As well as the pain and suffering they cause, maiming and injuring non combatants, their effects extend to the children of survivors of exposure to them. Birth defects etc.

Why don't the UN wade in here and push back the pro Russians?

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Link seems to be down. Is there any other reports on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Looks like the story has been pulled? Any details on it.

There seems to be plenty of raw material left lying around the Ukraine to create them though!!

http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/articles/2014-09-15/the-chemical-weapons-ukrainian-separatists-didnt-get

• Advertisement

Because chemical weapons are immensly cruel, indiscriminate and their use is nothing short of barbarism. As well as the pain and suffering they cause, maiming and injuring non combatants, their effects extend to the children of survivors of exposure to them. Birth defects etc.

Yes, I think all would accept those facts. That doesn't explain the statement "Whatever, about chemical weapons being used in the likes of Syria, it is gravely worrying to see that chemical weapons being used in a westernising European country. " though.

What I mean is, the middle is has a recent history of brutal and inhumane warfare, ie the likes of Iran-Iraq. And their use by/on ISIS is hardly surprising given the completely lawless state of affairs out there.

Ukraine on the other hand is a pretty well developed, almost western country by comparison and the combatants are states who ought to have a bit more control and cop on not to be provoking massive escalations by using weapons of mass destruction. Also, it is so much closer to home.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Triangle wrote: »
    Link seems to be down. Is there any other reports on this?
    gandalf wrote: »
    Looks like the story has been pulled? Any details on it.

There's a "4" left out of the link.

http://www.ibtimes.com/ukraine-us-plotting-use-chemical-weapons-against-donetsk-rebels-russian-media-claims-1943749

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Well chemical weapons have been used by the West in Fallujah so i dont see why they would be averse to using them elsehwhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

FFS it's an old link. This was debunked. There were also rumours of the Russians and their "Rebels" using Chemical Agents against Ukrainian Soldiers in Donetsk Airport.

• Advertisement

What I mean is, the middle is has a recent history of brutal and inhumane warfare, ie the likes of Iran-Iraq. And their use by/on ISIS is hardly surprising given the completely lawless state of affairs out there.

Ukraine on the other hand is a pretty well developed, almost western country by comparison and the combatants are states who ought to have a bit more control and cop on not to be provoking massive escalations by using weapons of mass destruction. Also, it is so much closer to home.

Détente was a product of MAD, not an evolutionary burgeoning of common decency and restraint in the European psyche.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

America has used them recently in Iraq so it just seems like the done thing now. Would say its just a matter of when not if a terror grouping of some sort gets their hands on some.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Why don't the UN wade in here and push back the pro Russians?

Chemical weapons as in bombs?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

False story .

Just happens there meeting about the Ukrainian crisis in the UN as we speak

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

If a story is debunked, please post relevant links and information rather than just saying it's debunked. Thanks.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Chemical weapons as in bombs?

As in sarin, VX gas etc. Nerve agents mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

K-9 wrote: »
    If a story is debunked, please post relevant links and information rather than just saying it's debunked. Thanks.

Shouldn't proof be provided that they were used?

Should threads not even attempt a minimum requirement of fact?

Similarly, it's impossible to debunk the existence of leprechauns... or God.
    You are placing the proof burden from the wrong angle.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Mod Note:

Thread closed pending review.

BoJack, I'm also going to review your arguing moderation on thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement